Last week I showed you my favorite method for grilling corn.
This week? Let’s throw in some zucchini and a tangy sun-dried tomato dressing and call it a salad, shall we?
This recipe is for all of my grilled vegetable lovers out there. It’s simple to make – just grill veggies and blend dressing (literally) – and requires just 30 minutes from start to finish.
Roasted chickpeas are an optional add-in for extra protein and fiber to take this from side dish to entrée with virtually no extra time and little effort. Just roast them while your corn is grilling. Garbanzos for the win!
That dressing though.
Think zesty sun-dried tomatoes blended with fresh lemon juice, basil, olive oil, garlic, and a touch of maple and salt and pepper for flavor balance. Super creamy, flavorful, and perfect on top of these smoky grilled vegetables.
I hope you all LOVE this salad. It’s:
Easy to make
Light + fresh
This is the perfect side dish for BBQs and dinner parties, especially in the summertime. Bring your veggies and grill them on the spot to wow your friends. They’ll be so impressed with your grilling/salad/delicious dressing skills. Make it an entrée with roasted chickpeas, or throw in some cooked pasta to keep things easy (like this recipe).
If you give this recipe a try, let us know how it goes! Leave a comment, rate it, and tag a picture #minimalistbaker on Instagram! We’d love to see your salad in action. Cheers, friends!
- 5-6 ears corn, in husk
- 2-3 medium zucchini
- 1 Tbsp (15 ml) grape seed, avocado or olive oil
- Sea salt and black pepper
- 1/2 cup packed (56 g) sun-dried tomatoes* (soaked in hot water 10 minutes)
- 1 cup (240 ml) hot water*
- 3 Tbsp (45 ml) lemon juice
- 1 cup tightly packed (60 g) fresh basil (I used half parsley)
- 4 cloves garlic, smashed (2 Tbsp or 12 g)
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) olive oil
- 2 tsp maple syrup
- Pinch each sea salt + black pepper, plus more to taste
- Roasted chickpeas*
- Fresh lime juice
- Start by heating up your grill and prepping the corn and zucchini.
- Slice zucchini thinly lengthwise, brush lightly with avocado or grape seed oil (or another high-heat oil), and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Set aside. Also soak corn (in husk) in cold water for 5 minutes.
- In the meantime, prepare your dressing by adding all ingredients (sun-dried tomatoes, hot water, lemon juice, basil, garlic, olive oil, maple syrup, salt, and pepper) to a blender and blend on high until creamy and smooth. If too thick, add more water to thin until pourable (see photo). Taste and adjust flavor as needed, adding more lemon for acidity, garlic for zing, maple syrup for sweetness, salt + pepper for flavor balance, or basil for freshness/earthiness. Set aside.
- Once your grill is hot, add corn (still in husk) and cover. Cook for 5-8 minutes, rotating to cook all sides, until all sides are lightly browned. Then carefully remove husk and place back on grill until golden brown on all sides - about 5-8 minutes.
- When the corn is almost ready, add zucchini to the grill and grill on each side for about 2-4 minutes, depending on how hot the grill is. You want grill marks, but you don't want the zucchini to get too soft. Set aside.
- Cut corn off cob and halve zucchini. Then add to a serving bowl. At this time, add roasted chickpeas if desired (see notes for preparation). Drizzle with fresh lime juice and desired amount of dressing, and garnish with fresh basil and/or parsley.
- Best when fresh. Leftover dressing will keep covered in the refrigerator up to 4 days.
*To make roasted chickpeas, thoroughly drain a 15-ounce can of chickpeas and add to a mixing bowl. Then add 1 Tbsp olive or grape seed oil, a healthy pinch each sea salt, ground cumin, dried oregano, smoked paprika, and black pepper. Roast at 350 degrees F (176 C) for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown and crispy.
*Nutrition information is a rough estimate for 1 of 4 servings calculated using 2 zucchini, 6 ears of corn, and all of the dressing.
*You will have plenty of leftover dressing, which will last for about 4-5 days in the refrigerator. Use on salads, grilled veggies, and more!