It’s getting to be that time of year when dinners are meant to be eaten on patios and lunches should be consumed in parks and on beaches. For such weather, I have just the thing:
Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto Pasta! Hello, spring.
If you’re a lover of simple pasta, you’re going to love this recipe.
It’s big on flavor and short on time and both vegan and gluten free! Plus, from start to finish it requires about 20 minutes and just 6 ingredients! In my world, it doesn’t get much better than that.
While your (gluten-free) pasta is boiling just blitz your sun-dried tomatoes with olive oil, garlic, vegan parmesan, fresh basil, and salt + pepper.
In a matter of minutes you have a dairy-free pesto that’s ideal for pastas, bread dipping, sandwich spreading, and even salad topping. You’ve gotta love a sauce that can multitask.
I think you guys are going to LOVE this pasta! It’s:
& perfect for warmer weather
Why warmer weather you ask? Eat it hot, eat it cold, eat it lukewarm – it’s still delicious. This makes it perfect for picnics, road trips, and beach days.
If you try this recipe, let us know what you think! Leave a comment and rate it! And don’t forget to take a picture and tag it #minimalistbaker on Instagram so we can be pasta pals. Cheers!
- 10 ounces gluten-free pasta (such as fusilli | or sub whole wheat)*
- 3 ounces (~1 cup) sun-dried tomatoes
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil*
- 1 cup fresh basil + more for serving
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 Tbsp Vegan Parmesan Cheese + more for serving
- Boil water, add salt, and then add pasta. Cook according to package instructions. Pasta with grooves is best.
- Add sun-dried tomatoes, olive oil, basil, garlic, and 2 Tbsp vegan parmesan cheese to a food processor or high-speed blender and puree into a pesto-like consistency.
- If it has trouble mixing, add a bit of hot pasta water (2-3 Tbsp) to help encourage it along. It doesn’t need to be finely pureed, just well mixed. I think a bit of texture is a good thing in this dish.
- Add drained pasta back to the pot you cooked it in and add pesto. Toss to coat and season with a bit more olive oil and vegan parmesan.
- Serve warm with additional fresh basil and vegan parmesan cheese. Store covered in the fridge for up to a few days, though best when fresh.
- This can be enjoyed hot, slightly chilled or at room temperature, making it ideal for picnics and take-along lunches!
*If your sun-dried tomatoes are in oil, omit the extra olive oil.
*Loosely adapted from Giada de Laurentis.
*Nutrition information is a rough estimate for 1 of 3 servings.