I don’t know about you guys, but when I find something I like I generally stick to it.
The good thing about that is I get really good at making whatever that thing is. For instance, my favorite green smoothie. On the flip side, staying the course has its downsides as I rarely want to branch out and try something new. We’re about to change that.
With a brand new year in front of us, I’m resolving to step out of my comfort zone and try new things. One thing on my list is try new smoothies.
I knew I wanted to incorporate grapefruit since it’s in season and has always been one of my favorites fruits. My mom used to cut them in half for me when I was little and I’d happily eat away at them with a baby spoon.
Not to mention, grapefruit is extra good for you this time of year with plenty of immune-boosting Vitamin C to help ward off colds, lycopene, and free-radical fighting antioxidants.
This smoothie is simple, requiring just 5 ingredients and 10 minutes.
In addition to health benefits from the grapefruit, it also has plenty of potassium and fiber from banana and apple, which add a creamy, natural sweetness I adore.
As far as texture, it’s somewhere between a juice and creamy like a traditional smoothie. In other words, light and super refreshing.
I think you guys are going to love this smoothie! It’s:
Loaded with nutrients
& Perfect for hitting the reset button on your diet
Another perk? It’s husband approved! John enjoyed this recipe and he’s not as adventurous as I am in the smoothie department. Definitely a win in my book.
If you guys make this smoothie, please let us know! Take a picture and tag it #minimalistbaker on Instagram – we’d love to see what you come up with. Cheers!
Grapefruit Green Smoothie
- 1 medium grapefruit (peeled // seeds removed // reserve juice)
- 1 large sweet apple (cored and skin removed // I prefer honeycrisp)
- 2 cups spinach (I like to freeze mine to keep it extra fresh)
- 1 large ripe banana (previously sliced and frozen)
- 2-3 ice cubes
- ~1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk, water, or orange juice (to thin)
- 1/2 tsp fresh ginger (optional // peeled and chopped)
- Add all ingredients to a blender (including reserved grapefruit juice) and blend until creamy and smooth. Add more liquid if too thick, ice to thicken, and banana or apple to sweeten. Serves 2 (as original recipe is written // adjust if altering batch size).
*Nutrition information is a rough estimate.