Did you hear? Orange zest and almond extract planned a party with a gluten-free cake, and you’re all invited. Buckle up! We’ll drive.
This perfectly sweet and moist cake is gluten-free PERFECTION and is sure to steal the show at your next brunch or gathering. Plus, just 10 ingredients and 1 bowl required. Let us show you how it’s done!
To start this lovely loaf, cane sugar combines with orange zest for BIG, zesty flavor. Next come the liquid ingredients — eggs for a perfectly fluffy yet moist result, orange juice for sweet orange flavor, and olive oil for richness. A splash of almond extract joins the party, but you can invite vanilla instead if you prefer.
Next the batter comes together with a combination of gluten-free flours for the perfect crumb texture: almond flour, potato starch, and brown rice flour. Finally, the addition of baking powder and salt ensure a fluffy loaf with balanced flavor!
After transferring the batter to its pan, a delicate (but optional) sprinkle of sugar adds a sparkly sweet touch to the final loaf.
After baking, the last (and hardest) step is to let it cool before slicing and sharing (if you have to).
We hope you LOVE this orange almond cake! It’s:
& Undetectably gluten-free!
More Zesty Orange Recipes
- Gluten-Free Cranberry Orange Muffins (Vegan)
- Orange Cardamom Energy Bites (No-Bake!)
- Healthy Fig Newtons (GF)
- Whole Wheat Griddle Cakes with Blueberry Orange Compote
If you try this recipe, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a photo @minimalistbaker on Instagram. Cheers, friends!
Gluten-Free Orange Almond Loaf Cake
- 2/3 cup organic cane sugar (plus more for garnish)
- 2-3 Tbsp orange zest (~2 large oranges zested)
- 2 large eggs* (preferably pasture-raised, organic when possible // see notes if vegan)
- 1/3 cup orange juice, pulp free (~2 large oranges juiced)
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/4 tsp almond extract (or sub vanilla extract if you aren’t a fan of almond!)
- 2 cups almond flour (we like Wellbee's)
- 3/4 cup potato starch (or sub GF blend*)
- 1/3 cup brown rice flour (or sub GF blend*)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F (162 C), and line a standard size loaf pan with parchment paper.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the sugar and orange zest until well combined and fragrant. Add the eggs and whisk until well combined. Then add the orange juice, olive oil, and almond extract and whisk until smooth.
- Add the almond flour, potato starch, brown rice flour, baking powder, and salt and whisk to combine and break up any lumps of flour. The batter should be semi-thick but pourable.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared loaf pan, spread it out evenly with a spatula, and top with a sprinkle of cane sugar for a sparkly sweet touch (optional).
- Bake for 55-65 minutes, or until the top is lightly golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool in the pan for 15 minutes, then carefully lift from the pan with the parchment paper and let cool completely on a wire rack — about 1 hour. Once the cake is completely cooled, gently remove the parchment paper.
*In place of eggs, you can sub flax eggs, but we tested many variations and strongly preferred eggs in this recipe. With flax eggs, it will be a little grainy and not as flavorful, and the texture will be very crumbly (best eaten on a plate with a fork vs. being handheld).
*Nutrition information is a rough estimate.
*Prep time includes cooling.