How was your Thanksgiving? Ours was lovely. We’re visiting friends and family back in Kansas this week, eating all the delicious food and hatching our solo Christmas plans. Think sleeping in, PJs, and french toast and mimosas in bed. Mmm, dreamy.
In the meantime, let’s dig into this seasonal stack of goodness. Fluffy cornmeal pancakes with cranberry orange compote. Let’s get into the kitchen.
These pancakes require just 7 ingredients and the compote comes together while the batter rests, making this a 30-minute recipe as well.
To keep these gluten free, I used a mixture of gluten free oat flour and cornmeal. Melted vegan butter adds decadence and a subtle buttery flavor. You can’t go wrong.
The compote is insanely simple. Just cranberries, orange juice and maple syrup bubbled into a compote and then blended.
Think tart-sweet in taste, and saucy + jammy in texture. Although the compote is optional, I highly recommend trying it out.
I hope you all LOVE these pancakes! They’re:
Cornbread-like in flavor + texture
This would make the perfect lazy weekend breakfast paired with coffee and a good book (my favorite). If you try this recipe, let us know by leaving a comment, rating it, and tagging a photo #minimalistbaker on Instagram. Cheers, friends! Have a lovely weekend.
Fluffy Cornmeal Pancakes (7 Ingredients!)
- 8 ounces fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1/4 cup orange juice (or 1/4 cup water + 1 Tbsp orange zest // amount as original recipe is written)
- 3 Tbsp maple syrup (plus more for serving)
- Add cornmeal, oat flour, cane sugar, baking powder and sea salt to a medium to large mixing bowl and whisk to combine.
- Measure out almond milk in a large liquid measuring cup, then add melted butter (or substitute oil) and whisk to combine.
- Add wet ingredients a little at a time to the dry ingredients and gently, slowly stir until just combined. You may not use all of the liquid - you're looking for a semi-thick batter (see photo). Small lumps are fine - try not to overmix. Let set for 10 minutes.
- In the meantime, make compote. Add cranberries, orange juice and maple syrup to small to medium skillet or saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Then lower heat and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring frequently, or until cranberries are soft.
- Transfer to a food processor and blend until smooth. Add a little water or more orange juice to thin into a spreadable sauce. Taste and adjust sweetness as needed, adding more maple syrup or stevia extract to taste. Return back to skillet/saucepan and keep warm over low heat until serving.
- Preheat your griddle or cast iron skillet over medium/medium-low heat. You want it warm but not screaming hot. Oil should not smoke when added to the pan.
- Once hot, drizzle the surface with oil or vegan butter and use a paper towel to wipe away excess - you don't want any pools of oil/butter. Then scoop scant 1/4 cup measurements onto the griddle or pan. Cook until bubbles appear and the sides are beginning to dry - about 3-4 minutes. Cook for another 2-4 more minutes on the other side.
- Place pancakes on a large plate and keep warm in a 200 degree F (93 C) oven until ready for serving - you should have 6 pancakes total (amount as original recipe is written // adjust if altering batch size).
- Top with cranberry-orange compote (optional) a drizzle of warm maple syrup. Store leftovers in an airtight container or bag in the fridge to keep fresh, or the freezer for longer term storage. Best when fresh.
*Nutrition information is a rough estimate calculated without toppings.