Friends, this is what summer dreams are made of! Vegan coleslaw that’s easy to make, super creamy, crunchy, and portable – making it perfect for BBQs, friend dinners, picnics, and more! Let’s do this.
The base for this 10-ingredient recipe starts with soaked cashews (for a nut-free alternative, see the notes!).
Cashews are blended with maple syrup, vinegar, celery salt, mustard, and onion for a classic coleslaw dressing that’s mayo (and oil) free.
Once the sauce is ready, all that’s left to do is shred your vegetables and toss! We went with carrots and a mix of red and green cabbage. But you could also sub other veggies you have on hand, like bell pepper, green onion, or even kale.
We hope you LOVE this modern spin on a classic! It’s:
Loaded with vegetables
& Super delicious
If you try this recipe, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a photo #minimalistbaker on Instagram! Cheers, friends.
Easy Vegan Coleslaw
- 1 cup raw cashews* (soaked in very hot water 1 hour, or in cool water 6 hours or overnight)
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup (plus more to taste // sub sweetener of choice, e.g. stevia or organic cane sugar)
- 2 tsp spicy brown mustard (or yellow mustard)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp white vinegar
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 3 Tbsp chopped yellow or red onion
- 1/2 tsp celery salt (or seeds // if using seeds, add more salt to taste)
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- 2 cups shredded carrot
- 4 cups packed shredded red or green cabbage
- Soak cashews. Then drain thoroughly and add to a high-speed blender along with water, maple syrup, mustard, white vinegar, apple cider vinegar, onion, and celery salt (or seeds).
- Blend on high until creamy and smooth, scraping down sides as needed. If too thick, add more water to thin. If too thin, you can compensate by adding more (raw) cashews (they don't need to be soaked).
- Taste and adjust flavor as needed, adding salt and pepper to taste, more celery salt or seeds for more pronounced celery flavor, onion for bite, maple syrup for sweetness, mustard for tanginess, or vinegar for acidity.
- Add carrot and cabbage to a mixing bowl and top with dressing. Toss to combine. Enjoy immediately or store covered in the refrigerator to chill - about 4 hours.