A friend recently requested a recipe for Chinese Chicken Salad on the blog. The rest is history. Plus, look at those colors and that crunch!
Introducing our fresh and flavorful 30-minute Chinese Chicken Salad made with seriously simple ingredients.
How to Make Chinese Chicken Salad
- Cabbage – we went with a mix of napa and red cabbage. Napa cabbage for a more classic touch and red cabbage for a pop of color and nice crunch.
- Carrots – bring on the crunch and color (Hello, antioxidants)!
- Green onion – perfect for raw dishes, green onion adds subtle onion flavor that enhances the salad.
- Chicken – we boiled and shredded chicken breasts to make this salad protein-packed and filling. If vegan, feel free to omit the chicken and enjoy this as a side dish instead of a main, or sub our Miso-Glazed Chickpeas!
- Nuts/seeds – we went with toasted almonds and sesame seeds for a bit of crunch and extra sesame flavor.
- Dressing – we opted for a sesame-ginger dressing made with simple ingredients.
Chinese Chicken Salad Dressing
The simple, soy-free dressing is made with coconut aminos, which provide saltiness and umami flavor. We also tested it with tamari, but found the flavor to be overpowering. However, if you want to sub tamari, try starting with half as much as it’s quite a bit saltier.
Rice vinegar adds a little tang, and toasted sesame oil provides that classic Chinese Chicken Salad flavor. Maple syrup adds sweetness and ginger and garlic add a little zing.
Simply pour the dressing over the salad and toss to combine. That’s it!
What to Serve with Chinese Chicken Salad
It would also be a great dish for meal prep! If making in advance, add the dressing just prior to serving to keep the vegetables crunchy.
We hope you LOVE this salad! It’s:
& So delicious!
More Salad Recipes
- Grilled Corn Salad with Vegan Chipotle Ranch Dressing (30 Minutes!)
- Vibrant Mango Salad with Peanut Dressing
- Curried Cauliflower, Grape, & Lentil Salad
- Vegan Nicoise Salad (30 Minutes!)
- Chickpea Shawarma Salad
If you try this recipe, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a photo #minimalistbaker on Instagram. Cheers, friends!
Easy Chinese Chicken Salad (GF/Soy-Free)
Easy, flavorful Chinese Chicken Salad with cabbage, shredded chicken, carrots, and a ginger-sesame dressing! Almonds and sesame seeds add crunch to this delicious, 30-minute salad!
- 2 small to medium chicken breasts, shredded (~2 ½ cups shredded chicken as recipe is written // see notes for vegan options)
- 3 cups thinly sliced napa cabbage
- 2 cups thinly sliced red cabbage
- 1 large carrot, shredded
- 1 bundle green onions, thinly sliced on an angle
- 5 Tbsp coconut aminos (or sub tamari, but start with 1/2 the amount as it’s saltier)
- 3 Tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 ½ Tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 1 ½ Tbsp maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp fresh grated ginger (mince instead of grating for less pungent taste)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp sesame seeds, slightly toasted
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds, slightly toasted
- 1 healthy pinch each sea salt and black pepper (plus more to taste)
- Chili garlic sauce (optional)
Start by bringing a pot of water to a boil. Then add chicken, slightly reduce heat to medium-high, cover, and cook until done all the way through — about 10 minutes. Then remove and use two forks to shred. Set aside.
In the meantime, prepare dressing by adding coconut aminos, rice vinegar, sesame oil, maple syrup, fresh ginger, and garlic to a jar (or mixing bowl) and shaking vigorously (or whisking) to combine.
Taste and adjust flavor as needed, adding more ginger for zing, garlic for kick, maple syrup for sweetness, sesame oil for more prominent toasted sesame flavor, or coconut aminos for more saltiness. Set aside.
Shred your napa cabbage, red cabbage, and carrot, slice the green onions, and add to a large serving dish or bowl. Toss to combine.
Next add sesame seeds and almonds to a small pan and toast over medium heat for ~5 minutes until just slightly golden brown, stirring frequently. Be careful not to burn. Set aside to cool.
Add shredded chicken breast to salad, along with toasted sesame seeds and almonds. Top with dressing and toss to combine. Season with a bit of salt and pepper for more flavor. Sample salad and add more salt and/or pepper to taste or more coconut aminos for depth of flavor.
Serve immediately or store leftovers covered in the refrigerator up to 3-4 days. Not freezer friendly.
*Nutrition information is a rough estimate calculated without optional ingredients.
*Recipe modified from RecipeTinEats!
* If vegan, feel free to omit the chicken and enjoy this as a side dish instead of a main, or sub our Miso-Glazed Chickpeas!
Nutrition Per Serving (1 of 8 servings)
- Calories: 215
- Fat: 10.3g
- Saturated fat: 1.7g
- Trans fat: 0.05g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.72g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.7g
- Cholesterol: 48.19mg
- Sodium: 243mg
- Potassium: 374mg
- Carbohydrates: 10.6g
- Fiber: 1.9g
- Sugar: 6.5g
- Protein: 20g
- Vitamin A: 2259IU
- Vitamin C: 25.23mg
- Calcium: 64.42mg
- Iron: 1.35mg