It’s time to liven things up for the holidays. What do you say?
I’m kind of pumpkin-ed out anyway, if that’s even possible. That means one thing: It’s time to rely on my go-to Christmas flavor combination – chocolate peppermint.
Let’s get festive!
The concept for this recipe was adapted from my Gluten-Free Birthday Cake! Tender, vegan, and gluten-free chocolate cupcakes infused with peppermint oil and topped with peppermint coconut whipped cream and all kinds of minty things.
Sounds complicated, huh? It’s not!
This recipe requires just 1 bowl, simple methods, and about 1 hour to prepare.
The coconut whipped cream is the perfect light and fluffy topping for these rich, chocolaty cupcakes. The peppermint oil adds an extra cooling effect, and the crushed peppermint adds just a little crunch. Major swoon.
I think you’re going to LOVE these cupcakes! They’re:
These cupcakes are perfect for serving at holiday gatherings, or even to make as little homemade gifts! Who would turn away a cupcake that looks this pretty? Throw in some of my Quinoa Granola and your friends will be utterly spoiled.
If you try this recipe, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it (once you’ve tried it), and don’t forget to tag a picture #minimalistbaker on Instagram! We’d love to see what you come up with. Cheers, friends!
- scant 1/2 cup (120 ml) unsweetened plain almond milk
- 3/4 tsp apple cider vinegar or lemon juice
- 2 flax eggs (2 Tbsp (14 g) flaxseed meal + 5 Tbsp (75 ml) water)
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/3 cup (64 g) coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup + 1 Tbsp (75 ml) maple syrup or agave nectar
- 1/4 cup (60 g) melted coconut oil or vegan butter (such as Earth Balance)
- 1 cup (246 g) applesauce (or sub roasted beet puree)
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 -1/2 tsp peppermint extract (I like this brand)
- 1/2 cup (48 g) unsweetened cocoa powder (if clumpy, sift)
- 1/2 cup (55 g) almond meal
- 1/4 cup (23 g) gluten-free oat flour
- 3/4 cup (120 g) gluten-free flour blend (or Bob’s Red Mill 1:1 Gluten Free Baking Blend)
- Double batch coconut whipped cream* + 1/4-1/2 tsp peppermint extract
- Crushed candy canes or sprinkles (ensure vegan-friendliness)
- Fresh mint
- FOR CUPCAKES: Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and line a muffin tin with 11 paper liners (I like this brand), or lightly grease.
- Measure out almond milk and add vinegar or lemon juice. Stir and let curdle while moving onto the next step.
- Prepare flax eggs in a large mixing bowl and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Add baking soda to the almond milk vinegar mixture and stir.
- Add the sugar, maple syrup and almond milk mixture to the flax egg and beat to combine. Then add melted coconut oil, applesauce, salt, and peppermint extract, and mix.
- Add cocoa powder, almond meal, oat flour, and gluten-free flour blend and beat to combine. If the batter appears too thick, add a touch more almond milk, but it should be perfect. If too thin, add a little more gluten free flour blend + cocoa powder. Taste and adjust amount of peppermint extract as needed.
- Divide batter evenly between lined muffin tins (should be enough for 11), filling generously 3/4 full.
- Bake for 29-34 minutes or until puffy and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let rest in the tin for 10-15 minutes, then remove and let cool completely on a cooling rack. Don’t try to sample early because they need to fully cool or they tend to stick to the wrappers.
- FOR COCONUT WHIP: Rinse out mixing bowl and add two cans hardened, chilled coconut cream. Beat until light and fluffy, then add peppermint extract and organic powdered sugar to taste. Taste and adjust flavors as needed. Then scoop into a large freezer bag and set in refrigerator to chill.
- Once cupcakes are completely cooled and you're ready to serve, cut a corner of the coconut whipped cream bag off and pipe a generous amount onto each cupcake. You’ll likely have leftovers.
- Lastly, add desired toppings, such as crushed peppermint candy and fresh mint leaves.
- Will keep well-covered in the refrigerator for 2-3 days, though best when fresh. If possible, don't frost until serving for best results!