We often find ourselves with leftover celery after making soups (anyone else?) and now we’ve found the tastiest way to use it up! This celery salad (with dates, mandarins, and pistachios, oh my!) is SO fresh, bright, and crunchy that you’ll wish you had leftover celery every week!
It’s the perfect simple side or appetizer to pair with richer entrées. It comes together in just 15 minutes and requires just 1 bowl and 8 ingredients! Let us show you how it’s done!
How to Make Celery Salad
But let’s face reality: Most recipes only use a little bit of celery and it’s challenging to use up the rest of the bunch before it goes bad. This recipe is different — celery takes center stage!
If we didn’t get this recipe to you in time to rescue your sad, limping celery in the back of the fridge, soak it in water overnight and watch it crisp back up. With crisp celery on hand, we’re ready to make salad!
For this salad, we pair celery with sweet dates, herby parsley, tart-sweet mandarins, crunchy pistachios, and a tangy lemon olive oil dressing. Since celery is somehow mild yet pungent, it’s ideal for pairing with other strong but complementary flavors. Mix it all up in one bowl and serve!
We hope you LOVE this celery salad! It’s:
& SO delicious!
More Simple Side Salads
- Minty Watermelon Cucumber Salad (Vegan)
- Shaved Brussels Sprout Salad with Apples and Dates
- 5-Minute Green Salad with No-Mix Tahini Dressing
- Pear Salad with Dried Cherries and Candied Walnuts
If you try this recipe, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a photo @minimalistbaker on Instagram. Cheers, friends!
Vibrant Celery Salad with Dates & Pistachios
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 ½ Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp freshly chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 3-4 pitted medjool dates, finely chopped (4 dates yield ~1/2 cup or 85g measured after pitting)
- 1 ½ cups thinly sliced celery stalks (4 large stalks yield ~1 ½ cups or 180 g)
- 3 Tbsp chopped celery leaves
- 1 cup fresh mandarin orange slices*, peeled and pith removed, cut into 1-inch pieces (2 small mandarins yield ~1 cup chopped)
- 1/4 cup shelled pistachios, roughly chopped (optional)
- To a large mixing bowl, add olive oil, lemon juice, salt, pepper, and parsley, and whisk to combine.
- Add the chopped dates, breaking them apart with your fingers. You can also use a whisk or fork as needed to break them up completely.
- Add the celery, celery leaves, mandarin oranges, and pistachios (optional) and mix with two spoons until all the ingredients are evenly distributed. Taste and adjust as needed, adding more dates for sweetness, lemon juice for brightness, or salt to taste.
- Best when fresh. Leftovers will keep stored in the refrigerator for 1-2 days. Not freezer friendly.
*Nutrition information is a rough estimate calculated with 3 dates and without optional ingredients.