When John and I started seeing each other, we did a lot of breakfast dates.
We both had roommates and it seemed the only way to spend uninterrupted time together was to get up early and share a meal before everyone else woke up. Lucky for us, breakfast was kind of our thing (and still is).
Even though John’s not a huge morning person, I can always lure him out of bed with these perfect, crispy 3-step breakfast potatoes that just happen to be vegan and gluten-free.
Three steps, you ask? That sounds complicated. However, it is not.
That’s it! If you have a microwave, this recipe takes about 20 minutes from start to finish! But even if you prefer the oven, these beauties will be ready to devour in 45 minutes or less. What’s more? They only require 5 ingredients and 1 skillet. Hello easy breakfast.
I believe I got this original method from my mother. I remember calling her one evening asking her how she made her crispy breakfast potatoes because I wanted to impress John with my cooking skills (side note: it totally worked). She explained it step by step and I’ve tweaked the process and made it my own since.
The only bad part? I prefer these to every other breakfast potato out there. Sorry restaurants, you simply don’t hold a flame to these crispy gems.
What does one eat with breakfast potatoes? I’m glad you asked.
These really are so versatile and easy to make, I end up cooking up a batch most mornings. It just isn’t breakfast in our house without a batch of these beauties.
If you give this recipe a try, be sure to take a picture and tag it @minimalistbaker on Instagram! I’d love to know how yours turn out. Cheers!
Best Ever Vegan Breakfast Potatoes
- 1 pound red potatoes (scrubbed clean and dried)
- 3-4 Tbsp vegan butter (or olive oil)
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- Heat a skillet to medium heat, or an electric skillet to 350 degrees F (176 C).
- “Bake” your potatoes in the microwave for 4-6 minutes total (flipping once halfway through) until they have a little give when squeezed. Alternatively, bake them in a 400-degree F (204 C) oven placed directly on the rack for roughly 20-35 minutes, depending on their size, until soft to the touch.
- Cut cooked potatoes into bite-sized pieces (I usually quarter mine), and place vegan butter 1 Tbsp at a time onto the hot skillet. Only add enough to accommodate all of your potatoes.
- TIP: Place potatoes, one by one, onto the skillet directly in the melted butter ensuring both exposed cut sides touch the butter and get some cook time in the skillet. This will ensure all sides get crispy brown.
- Once all potatoes are on the skillet, spray the top with avocado or olive oil (optional) and season with half of the seasonings. Spraying them with oil helps the seasonings stick to the skin.
- After about 4 minutes, use a fork or spatula to tip the potato over onto its other side to brown evenly.
- After another 3-4 minutes, flip the potatoes on their backsides (skin side down) and season with remaining salt, pepper and garlic powder. Cook for another 2-4 minutes until crispy and golden brown on all sides.