“Super coconutty! That’s what I should say. It’s SUPER coconutty.”
Literally the thought I had while eating a bowl of this granola and penning this post. Whoever said I couldn’t multitask was a big liar.
This granola was inspired by two things: 1) a reader suggestion! And 2) this Almond Joy Butter.
Truth be told, I wasn’t a huge almond joy fan growing up. Snickers was where it was at, and later on, Caramelos and Milky Ways also floated my boat. I’m kind of a candy bar fan in general, if you couldn’t tell.
I didn’t really like coconut anything until giving coconut butter a try. And then once I ventured into coconut milk territory, it was all over. The rest is history. Now it’s an all-out love affair.
This granola is infused with coconut two ways: Coconut flake and coconut oil. The combination of the two give it the perfect coconut flavor and texture without being too overwhelming.
The crispy oats and almonds lend extra texture and nutrition, and little specks of dark chocolate sweeten things up. If you’re like me, add more chocolate than I list or you’ll just end up digging it all out of the jar because there’s inevitably never enough. #truestory
This recipe is not only grade-A delicious, it’s also simple. Just 9 ingredients and roughly 30 minutes required.
I find myself making granola at least once every couple weeks to have on hand for breakfast and snacking. I had just cleared out my Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip batch when I made this and I must say it’s made a lovely replacement.
I think you guys are going to love this granola. It’s
Loaded with almonds
Reminiscent of an almond joy
& Kind of perfect
Make this granola to have on hand for quick breakfasts and snacks on the go. And if you do, you know the drill. Take a picture and tag it #minimalistbaker on Instagram to make me super happy and join the virtual granola party. Cheers!
Almond Joy Granola
- 2 1/2 cups rolled oats (GF for gluten-free eaters)
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut flake
- 1 cup raw almonds
- 3 Tbsp sugar (I prefer organic cane)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup coconut oil (or sub avocado or olive oil)
- 1/4 cup almond butter (add a little salt if not salted)
- 1/3 cup maple syrup or agave (or honey if not vegan)
- 1/3 cup dairy-free dark chocolate (bar or chips // roughly chopped)
- Preheat oven to 340 degrees F (171 C).
- Mix the oats, coconut flakes, sugar, salt, and almonds together in a large bowl.
- In a small skillet over medium-low heat, warm the coconut oil, almond butter, and maple syrup (or other liquid sweetener), and pour over the dry ingredients. Mix well.
- Spread the mixture evenly onto one large or two small baking sheets (making sure not to crowd the granola // use fewer or more as needed if altering batch size) and bake for 20-25 minutes. Stir a bit near the halfway point to ensure even cooking.
- The coconut oil helps this granola crisp up nicely, but be sure to watch it carefully toward the end as it can burn quickly.
- Once the granola is visibly browned (about 23 minutes for me), remove from the oven and let cool completely.
- Once cooled, add chopped dark chocolate and toss. Alternatively, at a reader's suggestion, you can add the chocolate while the granola is still warm so it melts and coats the granola. GENIUS!
- Store in a container that has an air-tight seal and it should keep for 2-3 weeks.