If you’re into smoothies that keep you full until lunchtime and don’t require a long list of ingredients or added protein powder, you’ll LOVE this peanut butter banana smoothie!
It’s super delicious, filling, balanced, and comes together in 5 minutes with 4 simple ingredients! Keep it simple, or add optional spinach, flax, or hemp seeds for a nutrient boost. Let’s do this!
How to Make a Peanut Butter Banana Smoothie
Get ready, because we’re about to show you how 4 simple ingredients (!) combine to make a delicious, filling, nutrient-packed smoothie! All that’s required is frozen banana, rolled oats, peanut butter, and your milk of choice (we like almond).
Frozen banana provides a creamy, naturally sweet base and makes this smoothie thick and chilled without diluting the flavors with ice. When it comes to nutrition, bananas are potassium and vitamin B6 powerhouses and also supply vitamin C, fiber, biotin, and more.
Rolled oats provide plenty of fiber and whole grain goodness, including phosphorous, magnesium, zinc, and even a little protein. Plus, they help thicken it even more for the ideal smoothie texture!
Peanut butter adds a delicious peanut flavor plus protein! P.S. Did you know peanuts outcompete other types of nuts and even rival beans when it comes to protein content (source)? We’re into it.
The final essential ingredient in this smoothie is (dairy-free) milk! It provides the liquid to get this thing blendin’!
If you’re looking to step up the nutrition even more (and make your smoothie a beautiful green color), throw in a handful of spinach! You won’t even taste it. Pinky promise.
Flax meal or hemp seeds are optional for an omega-3 and fiber boost. And if you prefer more sweetness, then honey, maple syrup, or dates will do that for you. Cinnamon also adds sweetness in its own subtle way!
We hope you LOVE this smoothie! It’s:
Protein-packed (12-16 grams per serving)
& Perfect for on the go!
We love it as a quick, protein-packed breakfast or snack! And since it relies on pantry and freezer staples, it’s perfect for those times when the refrigerator is looking empty.
More Smoothie Recipes
- Chocolate Protein Shake (Protein Powder-Free!)
- Blueberry Peanut Butter Protein Smoothie
- Creamy Carrot Cake Smoothie
- Gingery Mango & Berry Smoothie
If you try this recipe, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a photo @minimalistbaker on Instagram. Cheers, friends!
The Ultimate Peanut Butter Banana Smoothie
- 1 handful baby spinach
- 1 Tbsp flaxseed meal or hemp seeds (for added nutrition)
- 1-2 tsp honey or maple syrup (or a pitted medjool date)
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- Place all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth and creamy, adding more almond milk to thin, banana or oats to thicken, or peanut butter for richness and peanut flavor.
- Serve immediately or freeze in an ice cube tray then reblend (adding dairy-free milk as needed) to enjoy later. Texture/flavor is best when fresh.