Now that your sweet tooth has had ample time to recover from the holidays, let’s do something fun with those leftover peppermint candies you have.
Get your dark chocolate and let’s make some mousse (with just 3 ingredients)!
Since discovering the deliciousness that is vegan mousse, I haven’t been able to stop.
This chocolate peppermint version has been on my mind for quite a while now, especially since becoming a chocolate-mint convert. They just belong together, am I right?
This mousse starts with coconut cream and gets its rich chocolate flavor from a healthy dose of melted dairy-free dark chocolate. The mint infusion comes from pure peppermint extract to add that subtle cool, minty flavor.
One bite and I was in love. I mean, look at that! How could you not be?
For serving you can either get all fancy and pipe it into serving dishes, or just spoon away for the sake of ease!
And if you’re like me, no dessert is complete without a garnish – in this case ample amounts of coconut whipped cream and crushed peppermint candy.
This mousse is everything. It’s:
& A chocolate-mint lover’s dream
This would make the perfect end to any hearty winter meal. And with virtually zero effort, it comes together so fast and will make you look like a top chef!
Not into mint? You could also just sub the mint for 1/4 cup salted peanut butter, or leave it plain and top it with fresh raspberries or bananas. You really can’t go wrong!
If you try this recipe, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it, or share about it on social media. We love seeing your photos using #minimalistbaker on Instagram. It’s like a virtual mousse party. Cheers, friends!
RECIPE updated: September 6, 2016 to include a new method for ensuring the chocolate entirely melts into the coconut cream and make a fluffy, seamless mousse!
3-Ingredient Dark Chocolate Peppermint Mousse
- 1 14-ounce can coconut cream OR full-fat coconut milk
- 1 1/2 cups dairy-free dark chocolate (at least 65% cacao // roughly chopped)
- 1/8-1/4 tsp pure peppermint extract (I recommend this brand)
- coconut whipped cream (optional)
- finely crushed peppermint candies (optional // for garnish // check to ensure vegan friendliness)
- Coconut cream is best in this recipe. If using full-fat coconut milk, do your best to scoop out only the cream and reserve the leftover liquid in the bottom of the can for other uses (like smoothies), and use 1/2 cup less chocolate*. Otherwise, use coconut cream and add the full amount of chocolate.
- Melt chocolate in the microwave in 30 second increments or over a double boiler until creamy and smooth (be careful not to cook past melting point).
- Add coconut cream to a medium or large mixing bowl along with melted chocolate and whisk thoroughly to combine. Add peppermint oil and mix once more. Start with 1/8 tsp, then graduate up to 1/4 tsp depending on desired mintiness (amounts as original recipe is written // start with lesser end of range and increase as desired).
- Cover and set mixture in the refrigerator to chill fully – about 4 hours. You’ll know it’s ready to whip when the mixture no longer sloshes around when tipped side to side.
- Once chilled and semi-firm, whip until creamy and smooth with a hand mixer, scraping down sides as needed.
- At this point you can either transfer to a piping bag or large plastic bag (with the corner clipped off) to “pipe” into dishes. Otherwise, use a spoon to divide between 3-4 serving ramekins (amount as original recipe is written // adjust if altering batch size) or short drinking glasses and cover with plastic wrap.
- Enjoy as is, or chill for 30 more minutes to allow the mousse to firm up even more (or chill overnight).
- To serve, top with coconut whipped cream, crushed peppermint, and/or chocolate shavings or cocoa or cacao powder.
- Leftovers will keep in the fridge up to 3-4 days, though best when fresh. I haven’t tried freezing this recipe and wouldn’t recommend it.
*Prep time does not include chilling.
Leave a Comment & Rating!