When the leaves start turning, you know it’s officially baking season! Introducing the ideal treat for your autumn baking adventures: PUMPKIN coffee cake. This tender, fluffy, pumpkin-spiced treat is vegan, gluten-free, and SO delicious! Bonus? It’s made with just 10 ingredients in 1 bowl for easy cleanup.
This 1-bowl PUMPKIN coffee cake begins with using an electric mixer to combine the cane sugar and vegan butter, ensuring a light and fluffy result (a tricky task with pumpkin-based treats!). Next, we add pumpkin purée and vanilla, giving it fall flavor and color.
The mixture starts resembling a cake-like batter with the addition of all-purpose flour (we used our 1:1 gluten-free blend) and almond flour (for a tender crumb texture). Baking powder provides the leavening, pumpkin pie spice is a must for pumpkin-y treats, and sea salt enhances it all!
The batter goes into a baking dish in two layers separated by a brown sugar + pumpkin pie spice mixture to create a sweet, subtly spiced, cinnamon-y swirl in the final result!
The final coffee cake touch is a classic streusel topping with pumpkin pie spice instead of cinnamon. Pumpkin pie spice in every layer? It’s begging to be made this fall!
P.S. In case you’re waiting for the coffee IN the cake, there is none! You can learn about the origin of coffee cake and how it got its name here.
We hope you LOVE this pumpkin coffee cake! It’s:
Vegan + gluten-free
& Perfect for fall!
More Pumpkin Treats for Fall
- Fluffy Gluten-Free Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Vegan Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls
- Pillowy Pumpkin Snickerdoodles (V + GF)
- Vegan Gluten-Free Pumpkin Roll
If you try this recipe, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a photo @minimalistbaker on Instagram. Cheers, friends!
1-Bowl Pumpkin Coffee Cake (Vegan + GF)
- 3/4 cup cane sugar* (ensure organic if vegan)
- 1/2 cup softened vegan butter (we like Miyoko’s // dairy butter works if not vegan/dairy-free)
- 1 cup pumpkin purée
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups MB 1:1 GF Blend (or DIY GF Flour Blend* // or all-purpose flour if not gluten-free)
- 3/4 cup almond flour (we like Wellbee’s)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 3/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 ½ Tbsp brown sugar (ensure organic if vegan // or sub coconut sugar)
- 1 ½ tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 cup MB 1:1 GF Blend (or DIY GF Flour Blend* // or all-purpose flour if not gluten-free)
- 1/4 cup softened vegan butter (we like Miyoko’s // dairy butter works if not vegan/dairy-free)
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar (ensure organic if vegan // or sub coconut sugar)
- 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F (176 C) and line an 8 x 8-inch baking pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
- CAKE: To a medium mixing bowl, add the cane sugar and softened vegan butter. Using an electric mixer, beat on medium/high speed until light and fluffy. Next, add the pumpkin purée and vanilla extract and beat until pale orange and fluffy.
- Add the gluten-free (or all-purpose) flour, almond flour, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice, and sea salt and mix until fully incorporated. The batter will be very thick — somewhere between cake batter and cookie dough. Spread half the batter on the bottom of your parchment-lined baking pan and sprinkle the top with brown sugar and pumpkin pie spice (to make the SWIRL). Spread the remaining batter on top of the pumpkin pie spice and sugar, scraping the bowl clean.
- TOPPING: To the same (now empty) mixing bowl, add the gluten-free (or all-purpose) flour blend, vegan butter, brown sugar, pumpkin pie spice, and salt and mix on low speed until fully combined. It should look crumbly.
- Sprinkle the crumble topping evenly over the top of the coffee cake. Bake for 38-42 minutes, until a toothpick inserted comes out clean // with only a few crumbs remaining. Let cool in the pan for 15 minutes before removing and cooling on a cooling rack for another 15 minutes. Enjoy warm or at room temperature.
- Store leftover coffee cake in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2-3 days. To freeze, place cake slices in an airtight container and freeze for up to 1 month. Allow to come to room temperature before enjoying.
*We preferred our MB 1:1 GF Flour Blend in this recipe for a fluffier, lighter result, but our DIY GF Flour Blend also works. Results will vary with store-bought blends.
*Nutrition information is a rough estimate.