It’s not even November yet and I’ve already gone through 2 pumpkins and 5 cans of puree. Things are getting serious in here.
I have no idea how I’ve never made pumpkin cinnamon rolls before, but after perfecting my original World’s Easiest and recently the 1-Bowl Banana Bread rolls, I could hardly wait to try my hand at a pumpkin version. I’m happy to report it was a serious win.
This recipe is the first in a series of posts in partnership with Bob’s Red Mill. I have loved their products for years, and when we moved to Portland in 2010 I was thrilled to learn Bob’s was based there. Shortly after I was able to tour their factory and was so impressed to see the attention to quality and detail in everything they do.
I love this company and what they stand for, and I hope you enjoy the recipes in the coming months.
First up is Bob’s unbleached all-purpose flour – a baker’s best friend. It’s no surprise that it’s perfectly suited for these amazing, simple Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls.
Simple you ask? Yes, simple.
1 (true) rise
And about 2 hours start to finish
What do they taste like? Kind of amazing. They’re:
Flaky on top
& Perfect for fall
I made this batch and managed to do some serious damage before forfeiting the rest to our apartment staff. A girl can only eat so many cinnamon rolls in a day. My personal limit is two for now, but I’d like to see an increase next quarter (wink, wink).
These rolls are not overwhelmingly pumpkin – it’s a more subtle infusion that I just adore.
Another perk? The glaze is optional and customizable. I’ve included a couple options below, but my personal favorite is a simple powdered sugar glaze as it suits the spiciness of the pumpkin flavor perfectly.
I think you guys are going to LOVE these cinnamon rolls. And if you give them a try, let us know! We love seeing your comments and tweets, and especially your Instagram photos. Just tag them #minimalistbaker so we can give them a look.
You guys are the best and we hope your fall (baking) is off to an amazing start. Stay tuned for more pumpkin goodness in the coming weeks. Cheers!
Vegan Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls
- 2 Tbsp vegan butter (such as Earth Balance)
- 1 Tbsp pumpkin butter* (optional)
- 1 Tbsp organic cane sugar
- 1/4 cup raw pecans, chopped
- DOUGH: In a large mixing bowl in the microwave (or in a small saucepan over medium heat), heat the almond milk and vegan butter in 30 second increments until warm and melted, never reaching boiling. Remove from microwave (or stovetop) and let cool to 110 degrees F (43 C), or the temperature of bath water. It should be warm but not too hot or it will kill the yeast. If warmed on the stovetop, transfer mixture to a large mixing bowl at this point.
- Sprinkle on yeast, sugar, and salt and let activate for 10 minutes. Then add cinnamon, and pumpkin pie spice and stir. Let it set for a few minutes, then whisk in pumpkin purée.
- Next add in flour 1/2 cup at a time, stirring as you go. The dough will be sticky. When it is too thick to stir, transfer to a lightly floured surface and knead for a minute or so until it forms a loose ball, adding flour as needed.
- Rinse your mixing bowl out, coat it with oil, and add your dough ball back in and roll it around to coat. Cover with plastic wrap and set in a warm place to rise for about 45 minutes – 1 hour, or until doubled in size.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough into a thin rectangle. FILLING: Brush with melted vegan butter and pumpkin butter, then add sugar, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, and the pecans.
- Starting at one end, tightly roll up the dough and situate seam side down. Then with a serrated knife or floss, cut the dough into 1.5 – 2 inch sections and position in a well-greased 8×8 square or comparable sized pan (you should have about 10 rolls as original recipe is written).
- TOPPING: Brush with vegan butter mixed with pumpkin butter, sprinkle with cane sugar and pecans, and cover with plastic wrap. Set on top of the oven to let rise again while you preheat oven to 350 degrees F (176 C).
- Once the oven is hot, bake rolls on a center rack for 30-40 minutes or until golden brown and crusty on top. Let cool for at least 10 minutes before serving.
- For a glaze, try my dairy-free cream cheese frosting or the simple glaze I share in the notes below. Add a Tbsp of pumpkin butter and/or a dash of pumpkin pie spice to add more pumpkin flavor.
- Cinnamon rolls should keep covered at room temp for up to a few days, though best when fresh. You can freeze at the stage where the dough is cut into cinnamon rolls and placed in a pan. Cover well and freeze in a pan, then let thaw for at least 6 hours before baking. Cover and set on top of the oven while preheating to help rise. Bake as instructed.
*For a simple dairy-free glaze, melt 1 Tbsp vegan butter and whisk in 2 – 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar. Mix and gradually thin with dairy-free milk 1 tsp at a time until pourable but still thick. Add 1 Tbsp pumpkin butter and/or 1/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice for more pumpkin flavor.
*Adapted from my World’s Easiest Cinnamon Rolls
*Nutrition information is a rough estimate calculated without pecans or glaze.
Nutrition (1 of 10 servings)
This post was sponsored by Bob’s Red Mill. Thank you for supporting the brands that support Minimalist Baker!