A few weeks back we had a wedding shower to attend. Two of our very best friends are tying le knot in early October. John’s the best man; I’m the unofficial caterer to the bride. The couple has promised, nay, demanded we dance at the reception. They’re serving our home-roasted coffee. It shall be a blast.
For the shower, I wanted to bring treats – it’s simply my nature. My mom used to bring cupcakes in a cone to my school class for my birthday. You’d think that alone would’ve made me the coolest kid in school, but when you factor in my mushroom cut, painfully shy demeanor and 6 crooked teeth all fighting for front row spots, that couldn’t be any further from the truth. That’s OK, things took an upswing in middle school. Who needs third grade popularity anyway?
These cupcakes feature two whole peaches, plenty of vegan baked goodness, cake cones and honey buttercream. Quite the rag-tag team if you ask me.
Peaches and honey are simply meant to be together, like peanut butter and basil, wine and sitcoms, and Saturdays and sleeping in. You can imagine a cupcake + buttercream marriage is even more dreamy than the pair in its natural state. Trust, I know my sugary treats.
My cupcakes had a superb showing at the shower. Three down in the first 10 minutes and the rest not long after. I heard lots of moaning, plenty of “what is this?!” and several “ugh, sooo gooooods.” You know that’s a good sign.
While I can’t guarantee these will make you popular among your former third grade peers, they will make you some new friends now, even if they’re just using you for your sweet, delectable honey buttercream frosting.
- 1 cup light vanilla soy milk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- scant 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 peaches, peeled, pitted and finely pureed
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose or pastry flour*
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- pinch salt
- 10-12 ice cream cake cones
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Whisk together the soy milk and vinegar in a large bowl, and set aside for a few minutes to curdle. Add the sugar, oil, and vanilla extract to the soy milk mixture and beat until foamy. Add peach puree and stir.
- Next, carefully add flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt to a sifter and sift over wet ingredients. Beat until no large lumps remain.
- Place ice cream cones in a muffin pan and carefully scoop batter into the cones, filling almost all the way full.
- Bake for about 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Transfer to a flat surface and let cool completely. Rinse your bowl out while the cupcakes are baking to make buttercream frosting in.
* Questions about substitutions, equipment, or troubleshooting? Check out our Recipe FAQ page.
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) non-dairy butter, room temp (like Earth Balance)*
- 4 Tbsp vegan honey such as Bee Free (alternatively, use agave nectar)
- 1.5 - 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 Tbsp almond milk (or other non-dairy milk)
- Cream together butter and honey.
- Add half of the powdered sugar and mix on low speed until the sugar is incorporated. Then increase speed to medium and beat until creamy.
- Add last cup of powdered sugar, mixing on low speed at first and then on higher speed until creamy - about 2 minutes more.
- Add almond milk and mix once more.
- Add additional powdered sugar or almond milk as needed for desired consistency.
- Makes more than enough to generously frost 10-12 cupcakes