Three bananas. One Bowl. Zero gluten. Let’s do this.
You may remember my recipe for gluten free banana bread with butternut squash. It’s one of my favorites of all time. Yes, all time. But I couldn’t help but strip it down to the absolute essentials and take it back to classic banana bread land.
Friends, behold: One Bowl Gluten Free Banana Bread.
The ingredients for this scrumptious, hearty bread begin with three overripe bananas. Then come essentials you likely already have on hand, such as eggs (or chia/flax eggs), vanilla and coconut oil. To sweeten things up a bit more I relied on a mix of honey, cane and brown sugar for a variance of flavor and texture.
Then comes the gluten free goodness: a mix of gluten free oats, almond meal and my favorite gluten free flour blend (which can be subbed out with just about any gluten free blend).
This recipe is forgiving in that the type of GF blend you use doesn’t really matter as much since there’s two other dry ingredient components evening things out. And of course, if you’re not gluten free just sub whole wheat pastry or all purpose for the blend.
45 minutes to 1 hour in the oven and this baby is ready for the taking.
I could hardly wait to slice in, but patience is key here. You need to wait a good hour before cutting into this baby, else it will crumble and fall apart. That’s what you don’t want.
This is what you do want. A hearty loaf that holds its shape and converts even the most suspicious of eaters into gluten free banana bread lovers. Hubba hubba.
This bread is:
Loaded with banana flavor
Just sweet enough
Spotted with oats and almond meal
Trust me, you’re gonna love this bread. Enjoy!
- 3 medium ripe bananas (~1.5 cups or 337 g)
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 egg (or sub 1 chia or flax egg – see notes)
- 3 Tbsp (45 ml) grape seed or coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 cup (50 g) organic cane sugar
- 1/4 cup packed (55 g) organic brown sugar
- 2-3 Tbsp (63-84 g) honey, depending on ripeness of bananas (or sub maple syrup)
- 3.5 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup (180 ml) unsweetened almond or dairy milk
- 1 1/4 cup (137 g) almond meal
- 1 1/4 cup (200 g) gluten free flour blend
- 1 1/4 cup (112 g) gluten free oats
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (176 C) and line a 9x5-inch loaf pan with parchment paper.
- Mash banana in a large bowl. Add all ingredients through almond milk and whisk vigorously to combine. Last add almond meal, gluten free flour blend and oats and stir.
- Bake for 1 hour – 1 hour 15 minutes. When ready, it should feel firm and be crackly and golden brown on top.
- Let cool completely before cutting or it will be too tender to hold form.
- Serve with butter and honey or as is. Store leftovers in a covered container for up to a few days. Slice and freeze for longer term storage.
* Adapted from my GF Banana Butternut Squash Bread, originally adapted from TakeAMegabite.
*Nutrition information reflects 1 of 10 slices.