By now I’m sure you’ve heard all the cool kids are juicing. Joy the Baker does it. Shutterbean does it. And so does Edible Perspective. Pretty much all my favorite blogging buddies. Although I don’t have a juicer myself, I’d still like to think I’m a cool kid, too.
Juicing is basically a quick way to get loads of nutrients into your body at once. Hooray for health! The catch, though, is that the juicing mechanisms themselves can be super pricey and take up a lot of room in your kitchen. Because we try and keep our kitchen equipment to a minimum, both for space and cost purposes, I don’t see us investing in a juicer any time soon. But, that doesn’t mean I can’t enjoy fresh juice in the meantime.
To make this super tasty apple, beet, carrot, ginger juice, I simply blended it all up in a blender and then pressed it through a fine mesh strainer until I got all of the juice out. Then, I discarded the pulp and enjoyed my juicy juice.
This may sound like a bit of work, but it’s really quite simple. It doesn’t take much more effort than it does to rinse say quinoa or fresh fruit. Plus, not buying a juicer saves you money and a bit of space in your kitchen. Not to mention, I hear juicers are a headache to clean after using. See? Things are working out for us already.
This juice is slightly sweet and perfectly balanced, with some serious kick from the ginger. If you’re not a ginger person I’d recommend either scaling it back or omitting it altogether. I, however, enjoy ginger both for its zing and health benefits, so I used a good amount. But play with the ingredients to get a taste you prefer; that’s part of the fun anyway.
Besides being delicious, this juice is also incredibly healthy with Vitamins A, K and beta carotene from the carrots, vitamin C and polyphenols from the apples, antioxidants and folate from the beets, and anti inflammatory benefits from the ginger (among others). Some of the nutrients remain in the pulp, but all in all it’s a super healthy beverage that’s much better and fresher than store bought.
This was my first try and I intend to experiment with more flavors. Have any suggestions? I’d love to know.
- 1 beet, rinsed, lightly peeled and quartered
- 1 apple, peeled, cored and quartered
- 1 Tbsp size piece of fresh ginger (skin removed)
- 3 whole carrots, rinsed and peeled
- unfiltered apple juice (optional)
- Place all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth, adding a splash of apple juice if needed to get it moving. I probably added about 1/4 cup.
- Then, place a fine mesh strainer over a large bowl and pour the juice over. Use a rubber spatula to press the pulp down and squeeze all of the juice out. Let stand for 5 minutes so you get most of the juice.
- Discard pulp and pour your juice into a serving glass. Drink immediately or chill for a bit. Will keep in the fridge for a day or so, but will taste best when fresh.
nutrition information is a rough estimate for 1 beverage