First off let me tell you, if you haven’t had a protein shake that tastes like a straight up milkshake then you haven’t lived. And this recipe may just be your gateway drug into the land of pumped up protein shake bliss.
A couple years ago while my husband and I were living in Portland, OR, our friends had us over for dinner and topped off the meal with walnut, honey, cardamom and coriander milkshakes. And while I was skeptical at first, the flavor combination was so rich and adventurous I haven’t been able to shake it from my mind since.
I intended to make this into an actual ice cream shake but didn’t have the heart.
One, because it’s just not the healthiest recipe I could share. And two, I don’t have ice cream around the house nearly as often as I intend to as I lack what some people call self control. Envision me, a sad minimalist baker hovering over a pint of Ben & Jerry’s taking man-sized bites straight from the container, moaning “Ohsogood,” at every taste.
May sound gratifying, but it’s really just sad.
So instead? I present you with a Walnut and Honey Spiced Protein Shake, because protein shakes are healthier for you than ice cream and give you a perfectly good excuse to have a ‘milkshake’ for breakfast. If this idea doesn’t titillate your lady tastes, I don’t know what will.
- 1/2 cup low-fat cottage cheese or yogurt*
- 2 tablespoons walnuts (toasted or raw)
- 10-15 ice cubes
- 1/3 cup cold water
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder*
- 2 packets stevia, or sweetener to taste*
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- equal pinches cardamom and coriander*
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum (optional)
- 1-2 teaspoon honey (optional)
- Blend all ingredients together until smooth. Add more ice to make thicker, and more water to thin out.
- Pour into a glass drizzled with honey, or mix honey into shake.
*Questions about substitutions, equipment, or troubleshooting? Check out our Recipe FAQ page.
inspired by dashing dish
I can’t even begin to tell you how delicious this shake is. Thick and creamy, slightly spicy and plenty sweet, with lots of warm, heartiness from the walnuts. This is byfar one of the best protein shakes I’ve ever had and will be a regular staple in my breakfast cycle.