Happy December! Are you ready for all that my favorite month brings? I am. Currently my Indie Holidays Pandora station is creating quite a festive ambience as I sip coffee and write this post for some seriously delicious gluten free quick bread.
Since becoming friends with several gluten free eaters it’s been a personal challenge of mine to create gluten free recipes that are just as delicious as non-gluten free ones. And I’m happy to report that this simple, ONE BOWL banana bread is one of them. Hoo-ray!
The ingredients in this loaf are simple:
Ripe bananas & butternut squash
Gluten free oats
Gluten free flour blend
And a few everyday spices
Even better news? It only requires one mixing bowl. Easy, simple and delicious banana bread? Score.
What does this gorgeous bread taste like? For starts, not gluten free at all!
It’s moist, tender and hearty
Full of sweet banana flavor
with a hint of buttery winter squash
Nutty and wholesome thanks to almonds + oats
And absolutely perfect with a smear of butter and honey
This bread is absolutely perfect for serving to a crowd.
Book club? Yes.
Friend gathering? Yes.
Holiday party? Heck yes.
Christmas pre-game? Why not?
You get the point. This recipe is really ideal in any setting, even to bake on Sunday and have for breakfast or snacks throughout the week. Enjoy!
- 2 large ripe bananas (about 1 cup)
- 1 egg (sub 1 flax egg: 1 Tbsp flaxseed meal + 2.5 Tbsp water for vegan)
- 3 Tbsp grape seed or coconut oil
- 1/3 cup organic cane sugar
- 1/4 cup packed organic brown sugar
- 2-3 Tbsp honey, agave nectar or maple syrup, depending on preferred sweetness (optional)
- 3.5 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- dash nutmeg
- 3/4 cup almond milk
- 1 1/4 cup almond meal
- 1 1/4 cup gluten-free flour blend
- 1 1/4 cup gluten free oats
- 1/2 cup + 1 Tbsp butternut squash (or pumpkin) puree* (find roasting instructions here)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (176 C) and grease or spray a standard 9-inch loaf pan with nonstick spray, or line with parchment paper.
- Mash bananas in a large bowl until smooth and creamy. Then add egg, grape seed oil, sugar, brown sugar, honey, baking powder, sea salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and almond milk. Whisk until well combined.
- Next add almond meal, gluten free flour blend, and gluten free oats and stir.
- Pour half of the batter into the loaf pan. Then scoop butternut squash puree into the remaining batter and stir. Add it to the loaf pan and use a spoon or knife to gently swirl.
- Bake for 1 hour – 1 hour 15 minutes, or until golden brown and a knife inserted into the center comes out completely clean.
- Let set in pan for 5-10 minutes, then gently move to a wire rack and let cool completely. It will be tender if sliced right away, so letting it cool is ideal.
- Nutrition reflects 10 slices. Serve with butter and honey, or as is. Store leftovers in a covered container for up to a few days.
*Sub pumpkin puree for the butternut squash puree, or just compensate with 1 more banana.
*If you aren’t gluten free, sub unbleached all purpose or whole wheat pastry flour for the gluten free flour blend.