Is pasta for breakfast a thing?
If not, I vote it should be. When you taste how amazing this pasta is, you’re going to want it all hours of the day.
Have you ever had a sauce-less pasta? I know it sounds boring. But here’s the thing – it’s not.
Al-dente pasta tossed in garlic-and-chili-infused olive oil, fresh parsley, and vegan parmesan cheese. You won’t be missing the cream sauce one bit.
This recipe is easy to make, requiring just 30 minutes and 10 basic ingredients.
And the flavors and preparation are so simple it makes a great weeknight staple.
Don’t worry. If you’re weary of cauliflower, try it roasted! If you season it well – in this case with red pepper flakes, garlic, and sea salt – it roasts up beautifully and pairs incredibly well with this light pasta dish.
I hope you all love this dish! It’s:
Dusted with vegan parmesan cheese
This would make the perfect quick weeknight meal when you’re craving something substantial and comforting, yet light. It’s a dish the whole family will love. To make it more substantial, pair it with a salad – the Kumquat Kale Salad and Apple Pecan Arugula Salad are two of my favorites.
If you do try this recipe, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it (once you’ve tried it), and don’t forget to take a picture and tag it #minimalistbaker on Instagram! We’d love to see what you come up with. Cheers, friends!
- 1 small head cauliflower (580 g), large stems removed, florets separated
- 2-3 Tbsp (30-45 ml) olive or grape seed oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (9 g or 1 1/2 Tbsp)
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes (more or less to taste)
- Heaping 1/4 tsp sea salt
- optional: 2 cups (480 ml) vegetable broth (for adding more flavor to pasta)
- 12 oz (340 g) linguini or fettuccini (ensure vegan friendly | sub gluten free pasta to keep GF)
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) olive oil (use extra virgin here if you have it for more flavor)
- 3 cloves garlic, skin removed + smashed NOT minced (9 g or 1 1/2 Tbsp)
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes (reduce for less heat)
- 2 Tbsp (8 g) fresh chopped parsley, plus more for serving
- 2 Tbsp (17 g) toasted pine nuts, plus more for serving
- 1/4 cup (20 g) vegan parmesan cheese, plus more for serving
- Salt + Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (232 C).
- Add cauliflower to a mixing bowl with olive oil, minced garlic, red pepper flakes, and sea salt. Toss to coat, then spread on a baking sheet and roast for 20 minutes, flipping/stirring once at the 15-minute mark to ensure even cooking. Sample and adjust seasonings as needed. Set aside.
- Once your cauliflower has reached the 10-minute mark, add 2 cups vegetable broth (for added flavor | optional) and about 4-5 cups water (or however much to generously cover your pasta) to a large pot and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, season well with sea salt and add pasta. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking and cook according to package instructions for ‘al dente’ - 7-10 minutes - then drain and set aside. Cover with a towel to keep warm.
- Heat the same large pot over medium-low heat. Once hot, add 1/4 cup olive oil and 3 cloves smashed NOT minced garlic. Sauté 1-2 minutes on both sides, or until garlic is fragrant and slightly golden brown. Remove garlic from pan and let cool slightly, then mince. Set aside for serving.
- Next add red pepper flakes to infuse the olive oil for 1-2 minutes.
- Add cooked pasta, parsley, pine nuts, minced garlic, vegan parmesan cheese, cauliflower, and toss to coat.
- Remove from heat and sample pasta. Adjust seasonings as desired, adding salt or pepper if necessary. Serve hot with additional parsley, red pepper flakes, pine nuts and vegan parmesan cheese. Best when fresh, though leftovers keep for a few days covered in the refrigerator. Reheat in the microwave, or on the stovetop in a large saucepan in a bit of olive oil.