When you’ve been an ice cream addict like me for 26 years, giving the stuff up is rough. I’d rather endure weaning all over again than try and shake my double scoop habit.
Thankfully though, I’ve found something that satisfies my deepest, darkest most intense ice cream cravings – this Chocolate Brownie Batter Blizzard that doesn’t contain one lick of dairy.
Oh me oh my. oh.
The base is a spin off of my creamy chocolate breakfast shake, and the brownie should look familiar from earlier this week: my 5-minute espresso walnut brownies. Marry the two together and we have one insanely rich spoonable beverage on our hands.
Dare I say, worthy of the title “blizzard”? Yes, I do.
Just looking at the pictures again I already want another. The base is rich with chocolate flavor and you can’t detect the strawberries one bit. The banana flavor is ever-so-subtle so even if you’re a banana hater I’d still suggest you give it a try.
The no-bake brownie bits melt into the shake seamlessly and get all fudgy and creamy and every bite seems better than the last.
The best part? It really is healthy enough to be breakfast. Sure, there’s a lot of sugar but it’s from all natural sources and there’s no gluten, dairy or unhealthy fats. See, told you it’s perfect for breakfast. Cheers!
- 2 frozen ripe bananas, chopped prior to freezing
- ⅓ cup frozen strawberries
- 2-3 heaping Tbsp cocoa OR cacao powder
- 1 heaping Tbsp salted almond butter
- 1 – 1 1/2 cups unsweetened vanilla almond milk (sub soy or coconut)
- dash of stevia or agave nectar (depending on sweetness of bananas)
- ⅓ cup ice
- 2 5-minute espresso walnut brownie, crumbled (recipe below)
- Place all ingredients EXCEPT brownies in a blender and blend until smooth.
- If you prefer a sweeter shake, add more stevia or agave. If you prefer it thinner, add less ice OR more almond milk.
- Divide between two serving glasses and layer with brownie crumbles. Serve immediately or freeze, covered for later.
recipe for 5-minute espresso walnut brownie