Late one night last week while John was getting ready for bed I was scouring Pinterest on my iPhone. Some days I barely pin anything at all on Pinterest and others I’m an absolute maniac, re-pinning everything I see. Cute puppies, strange tattoos, 18-layer cakes, you name it. This particular night I found something that really caught my eye, so much so that I was determined to make it the very next morning.
The recipe I’m sharing is inspired by the one I found, which was featured on Babble. Kathy’s version was raw and mine’s not, so if you’re on a raw diet by all means stick with her version. But for those of you not on a raw diet, this is probably about the creamiest dreamiest chocolate shakes you’ll have that just happens to be vegan and totally healthy enough to call breakfast.
Since making this for the first time a week or so back it’s been my go-to breakfast nearly every morning – so freaking delicious. You can taste the bananas only slightly, so if they’re not your thing try it anyway.
You can easily add more cocoa powder to make the chocolate flavor even more prominent. Also, if you can’t have or absolutely despise bananas, you could probably just sub all frozen strawberries or blueberries for a similar result. I also highly recommend sneaking in some flaxseed and spinach for added nutrition without any affect on the flavor. Bottoms up!
- 2 frozen ripe bananas, chopped prior to freezing
- 1/3 cup frozen strawberries (or blueberries)
- 2-3 heaping Tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 Tbsp salted almond butter*
- optional: 1 Tbsp flaxseed meal
- 1.5-2 cups unsweetened vanilla almond milk (sub soy or coconut)
- dash of stevia or agave nectar (depending on sweetness of bananas)
- 1/3 cup ice
- optional: big handful of spinach (not pictured here)
- Place all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
- If you prefer a more chocolatey shake, add more cocoa powder. If you prefer it sweeter, add more stevia or agave. If you prefer it thinner, add less ice OR more almond milk.