Hello and welcome to another episode of “We’re Obsessed with Coffee” with your hosts John and Dana, where we talk about all-things caffeine and how to get more of it into our blood stream.
Today’s recipe is a 3-Ingredient Caramel Frappuccino that’s 100% vegan and crafted with a bold and rich cold brew coffee.
*cue “oohs” and “aahs.”
If you’ve never made cold brew coffee, do not be intimidated. It is the opposite of hard. You simply grind up your coffee, add it to a bowl or pitcher, add twice the amount of water, let it brew overnight and then strain for a rich, cold cup of coffee.
Cold brew is ideal for making ahead of time to keep in the fridge for a quick pick-me-up. In this way it’s great for pre-mixing with milk, flavorings or sugar so you can grab it and go. Or, if you’re like us, you blend it into something luxurious – a frappuccino.
This frappe is composed of three ingredients:
Cold brew coffee.
Almond milk ice cubes.
And vegan caramel sauce.
That’s it. Simply blend them all together and you have frothy creamy goodness on your hands that’s surprisingly low calorie.
That is, unless, you top it with more caramel sauce. But why wouldn’t you do such a thing? It is a frappuccino after all.
What does it taste like? Deliciousness.
It’s creamy and only slightly slushy with a vibrant coffee flavor and just a hint of caramel. If you let it set for a few minutes it gets all melty and somehow sweeter. It’s like magic.
This frapp is also extremely customizable. If you aren’t a caramel fan, make it chocolate! If you don’t have almond milk, sub cow’s milk. And if you prefer it a tad creamier, use half and half ice cubes or full fat coconut milk ice cubes. Experiment away!
- 8 unsweetened almond milk ice cubes (~1 cup almond milk)
- 3/4-1 cup cold brewed coffee
- 3-5 Tbsp vegan caramel sauce
- Optional: sweetener to taste (such as non-bitter stevia)
- Prep coffee and ice cubes the night before by pouring 1 cup almond milk into 8 ice cube mold squares, and adding 2 cups water to 1 cup finely ground dark roast coffee. Cover both with plastic wrap, then place cubes in the freezer and coffee in the fridge.
- In the morning, strain the cold brew through a coffee filter fitted over a coffee pot, such as a Chemex. Set aside.
- To a blender add all ice cubes, 3/4 cup of the coffee and 4-5 Tbsp of the caramel sauce to start out. Blend until smooth, adding more coffee if it's too thick.
- Taste and adjust flavors as needed. I added a touch more caramel and one-half packet of Non-Bitter NuStevia powder. You could also add more sweetness with additional caramel sauce or agave nectar.
- Serve immediately, topped with coconut whipped cream and/or more caramel sauce.
*To make vegan caramel sauce, follow the bourbon caramel sauce recipe, only omit the bourbon and substitute well-shaken full-fat coconut milk for the cream.
Check out our other EASY frappuccino recipes!