If you’ve ever wondered how to make date caramel, this is the tutorial for you! Date caramel is so easy to make and extremely delicious, but there are a couple of important tricks to know before you dive in.
1) It’s all about having good, moist, fresh dates. If your dates are dry and hard, they won’t blend as well and will require soaking in warm water first in order to soften them. Otherwise, you won’t achieve that creamy, caramel-like consistency. So, whenever possible, look for the freshest, most sticky dates you can find.
2) It’s all about the equipment. In my experience, a food processor works best to get that ultra creamy, smooth texture. But now that I’ve simplified and only have a Vitamix, I’ve found it’s not quite as easy with a blender. While they get the job done, blenders just require a little more time, effort and a bit more water to get things going.
Now that you have the basics down, let’s make caramel!
- 20 large pitted dates (if not moist and sticky, soak in warm water for 10 minute then drain)
- Water (to thin)
- 1 pinch sea salt (optional)
- Add pitted dates to a food processor or high-speed blender (in my experience, a food processor works best to get a creamy texture without having to add much water).
- Pulse/mix on low until small bits remain. Then stream in hot water while the blender is on until a paste is made. You will need to scrape down the sides and encourage it along periodically.
- Be sure to only add enough water to form a paste – too much and it will be too liquidy. Amount will depend on your machine and size/moistness of dates.
- Leave as is, or add a pinch of salt to enhance flavor (optional). Will keep covered in the refrigerator for 1-2 weeks, and often more.
- Date caramel is perfect for adding to things like 5-Ingredient Peanut Butter Caramel Truffles, Peanut Butter and Jelly Pie, No Churn Ice Cream, Vegan Pumpkin Caramels, Dulce De Leche Pops, Ice Cream Snickers Bars, Sea Salt Caramel Coconut Ice Cream, Chocolate Peanut Butter Mousse Pie and more.
- It also makes a wonderful natural sweetener in dishes like oatmeal and milkshakes.
*Nutrition information is a rough estimate calculated without optional ingredients.
Leave a Comment & Rating!