Friends! 2013 is almost over. Do you have New Year’s plans yet? Whether you’re going out or staying in, we have the perfect simple drink for you: A winter bourbon smash.
This drink has quite the history. We especially loved this excerpt:
“The smash is an open-ended cocktail, freely variable and seasonally flexible. There must be ice…There should be fruit in season, though you may use it simply as a garnish. There should be a spirit base…You may want to water your smash down a little or add a spritz of seltzer. At its heart, the smash is a wonderfully forgiving and flexible drink, made for…using what’s on hand and for smashing it all together over ice for pure sipping bliss.”
Now that we’re all learned on this beautiful, simple cocktail, let’s get to mixin’.
It all starts with raspberry jam. We called this a winter smash since traditionally a smash should contain a seasonal fruit. Being that it’s frigid outside and fresh fruit isn’t exactly plentiful, a jam is the perfect solution.
For flavor we went with raspberry, but you could really use any jam or preserve you have on hand. A perfect pairing to raspberry is orange, which we used as both a garnish and juice to add a brightness to this cocktail.
Two things I love about this drink:
1) It has a quenchable thickness thanks to the preserves.
2) It highlights the bourbon beautifully.
I wouldn’t consider myself a huge bourbon fan (unless it’s in caramel). But the more I try it in drinks like this, the more I love it. It has less of a punch than vodka and tequila and a distinct flavor that’s absolutely delicious when well mixed.
This drink is my new favorite. It’s:
Not too sweet
Bright with citrus
Not too strong
& So easy to make.
Make it this New Year’s Eve to bring in 2014 right. This is definitely what we’ll be cheersing to at midnight. Enjoy!
Winter Bourbon Smash
- 1/2 cup ice (plus more for serving)
- 2 Tbsp preserves or jam of choice (we went with organic raspberry)
- 2 Tbsp bourbon
- 1 Tbsp triple sec
- 2-3 Tbsp orange juice
- Orange segments
- A splash of club soda brightens it up
- Add ice, preserves, bourbon, triple sec and orange juice to a shaker and shake vigorously for 15 seconds.
- Pour into serving glass with a few ice cubes and top with a splash of club soda. Garnish with orange slices and enjoy. Repeat for more drinks.
*Inspired by Cooking Light Magazine
*Nutrition information is a rough estimate.