Do you ever look at foods and wonder what else they could be?
I do it all the time. That’s how I come up with recipes like Vegan “Pulled Pork” Sandwiches, Vegan Pepperoni, Eggplant Queso, and Quinoa Brittle. I think it’s limiting to think of foods as only being enjoyed one way.
Such is the case with watermelon. Think big, people. It isn’t just meant to be cubed and enjoyed at BBQs (although, absolutely delicious).
What if you turned it into “sashimi”?
What is Sashimi?
Sashimi is a Japanese dish of fresh raw fish or seafood (such as salmon or tuna) cut into bite-sized pieces. It’s usually enjoyed with soy sauce and wasabi. The exact origin is a bit of a mystery, but it’s thought that it may have originated from a dish called namasu or as a sort of “fast food”.
The following is our plant-based watermelon “sashimi” inspired by the concept.
Just looking at watermelon it has the same hue as tuna or salmon. Kind of weird, right? The texture may be different, but its color and flavor lend to a fun application of sashimi. This plant-based version is oh-so much fun. Plus, it only requires 7 ingredients and 10 minutes!
Simply slice watermelon into triangles, wick away some of the moisture, and brush with a sesame-tamari glaze. A little wasabi adds a kick, which I thoroughly enjoy with sushi.
Toppings can be modified to what sounds best to you, but to keep things simple I went with avocado, red onion and pickled ginger. A few sesame seeds (black or white) add a nice pop of color and tiny crunch.
I hope you all LOVE this sashimi! It’s:
& So delicious
This makes the perfect summer afternoon or pre-dinner snack. In fact, if I had friends over for Portobello Stir-Fry, Peanut Butter Tofu Stir-Fry, or Brown Rice Sushi, I might just serve this as an appetizer. My friends are going to be so confused (and so happy) about this.
If you try this recipe, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a picture #minimalistbaker on Instagram. We’d love to see what you come up with. Cheers, friends!
WATERMELON + TOPPINGS
- 1 small watermelon (cut into bite-size triangles)
- 2 Tbsp finely sliced avocado
- 2 Tbsp pickled ginger
- 1/4 medium red onion (very thinly sliced)
- 1-2 tsp sesame seeds
- 1 Tbsp sesame oil
- 2-3 Tbsp tamari (if gluten-free, ensure gluten-free)
- 1/4 tsp wasabi (optional)
- Cut watermelon into bite-sized triangles and set on a paper towel or clean towel to draw out some of the moisture.
- In the meantime, whisk together the glaze ingredients. Set aside.
- To assemble, transfer watermelon to serving plate(s) and brush the tops with the glaze. Then top with avocado, red onion, pickled ginger, and sesame seeds.
- Enjoy immediately! Best when fresh, though can be refrigerated up to 24 hours in advance.
Leave a Comment & Rating!