These cupcakes are special for three reasons:
1. They contain both fruit and vegetables.
2. They’re hot pink.
3. They require just 1 bowl to make!
Let’s do this!
These cupcakes – aren’t they just the prettiest?
They are super moist and include both beet purée and strawberries for a fresh, nutritious (and colorful) touch. Plus, they come together in less than 1 hour and only require 1 bowl (in true minimalist style)!
And that frosting gets it gorgeous hue thanks to a little beet purée infusion. Major swoon!
We hope you LOVE these cupcakes! They’re:
Quick & easy
& Super delicious
These would make the perfect cupcakes to celebrate summer produce! Strawberries and beets are an odd match made in heaven, and help create a seriously fluffy, moist cupcake. Plus, that color!
Into cake? Be sure to check out our Vegan Gluten Free Vanilla Cake, Vegan GF Carrot Cake, Gluten Free Chocolate Birthday Cake, No Bake Vanilla Cake Bites, and Chocolate Hazelnut Layer Cake!
If you try this recipe let us know! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a photo #minimalistbaker on Instagram. Happy baking, friends!
Vegan Beet Strawberry Cupcakes
- 1 cup coconut milk beverage (or sub light coconut milk canned or almond milk)
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- 1/2 cup raw sugar (or granulated)
- 1/4 cup melted coconut or avocado oil
- 1/4 cup beet purée (roasting instructions here // add a little lemon or orange juice when puréeing to achieve a smoother consistency)
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose or whole-wheat pastry flour
- ¾ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup chopped, fresh strawberries (or slightly thawed frozen berries)
Vegan “Buttercream” Frosting
- 1/2 cup non-dairy butter (such as Earth Balance // 1 stick equals 1/2 cup)
- 2 – 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 Tbsp beet purée (optional // mainly for color)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 splash coconut or almond milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (176 C) and line a muffin tin with paper or parchment liners.
- Whisk together the almond or coconut milk and vinegar in a large bowl, and set aside for a few minutes to curdle.
- Add the sugar, oil, and vanilla extract to the milk and beat until foamy. Add beet purée and beat again.
- Next, carefully add flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt to a sifter and sift over wet ingredients. Beat until no large lumps remain. Then fold in strawberries.
- Carefully scoop batter into the cupcake holders, filling 3/4 way full. Bake for about 28-32 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let rest in tin for 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack to let cool completely. (I chilled mine in the fridge).
- Rinse your mixing bowl out while the cupcakes are chilling and make the buttercream frosting.
- Beat butter until fluffy. Then add powdered sugar in 1/2 cup increments until desired thickness is achieved. Add in vanilla and beet purée until desired color is achieved, and a splash of almond or coconut milk. If it becomes too thick, compensate with milk or beet purée. If it becomes too thin, add more powdered sugar.
- Frost cupcakes as soon as they’re cooled. I had leftover frosting.
- Store in an airtight container to keep fresh for several days.
Leave a Comment & Rating!