This is my take on the classic shamrock shake! It’s creamy, minty, refreshing, and way healthier than the original! Plus, just 6 ingredients required, it’s 100% plant-based, and is refined sugar-free. Shall we?
The base is made with frozen coconut milk “ice cubes” blended with almond milk and a dash of coconut cream for thick and creamy texture.
The mint flavor comes from fresh mint (!!) and peppermint extract. A handful of spinach adds some nutrients as well as a vibrant green color.
And the shake is naturally sweetened with maple syrup or stevia.
This shake is:
& So easy to make
This is the perfect treat to enjoy on St. Patrick’s Day and beyond! You could even make it boozy with some Irish Whiskey, Bailey’s, or Creme de Menthe (just sayin’.)
For more dairy-free shakes, check out my Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Shake, Bourbon Pumpkin Milkshake, Banana Split Smoothie, 3-Ingredient Mocha Milkshake, Cold Brew Caramel Frappucino, and Cold Brew Mocha Frappuccino.
If you try this shake, let us know! Tag a photo #minimalistbaker on Instagram, and make sure to leave a comment and rating. Cheers, friends!
- 1 14-ounce (414 ml) can light or full fat* coconut milk, frozen into ice cubes
- 1/4 - 1/2 tsp peppermint oil / extract
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp (3 g) fresh mint
- optional: 1/2 tsp matcha green tea powder
- 3 -4 Tbsp (45-60 g) coconut cream* (for creaminess)
- 1/2 - 3/4 cup (120-180 ml) unsweetened plain almond milk (or more light coconut milk)
- 1-2 Tbsp (15-30 ml) maple syrup (or sub stevia or agave nectar to taste)
- optional: 1 cup (30 g) loosely packed spinach (frozen for colder shake | organic when possible )
- optional: 1 Tbsp (5 g) cacao nibs, for serving
- To make coconut ice cubes, pour a can of well-shaken light or full fat coconut milk into an ice cube tray and freeze until firm - 4-6 hours, or overnight.
- Once frozen, put the coconut "ice" cubes into a blender, along with peppermint extract, vanilla extract, fresh mint, matcha powder (optional), coconut cream, 1/2 cup (120 ml) almond milk, 1-2 Tbsp maple syrup, and spinach (optional). Blend on high, scraping down sides as needed, until creamy and smooth.
- If too thick, thin with a bit more almond milk. If too thin, add a little ice. Taste and adjust flavor as needed, adding more peppermint extract for minty flavor, spinach for green color, or maple syrup for sweetness.
- Divide between two serving glasses and garnish with fresh mint and cacao nibs (optional). Coconut whipped cream would also be a lovely topping!
- Best when fresh. Leftovers still keep in the freezer (covered) up to 5 days.
*In place of coconut cream you could also sub 1/4 cup soaked + drained raw cashews.
*You could make this shake boozy with a shot (2-3 ounces) Irish Whiskey, Bailey's, or Creme de Menthe.
*Prep time includes freezing coconut ice cubes.