Originally, this was supposed to be avocado chia seed chocolate pudding for the May Bonus Recipe.
However, that didn’t work out so well. Turns out, no matter how much melted dark chocolate I pour over avocados, it still kinda tastes like chocolate avocado. Back to the drawing board.
New idea: Banana Split Chocolate Smoothie!
Good news: Smashing success. So delicious, in fact, that it was destined for the blog (I mean, look at that glam shot). Hubba.
This smoothie is such a simple concept but delivers big on flavor and decadence.
It starts with frozen bananas blended with cacao powder and almond butter. Next comes a couple of dates for sweetness, almond milk, and vanilla extract. The result is a rich, chocolaty, banana-infused shake that’s insanely delicious. Plus, just 9 ingredients, 1 blender, and 10 minutes required.
Let’s serve this baby up and get to snacking, shall we?
How is this a banana split smoothie, you ask?
For starters, it has three bananas! Two in the smoothie and one for serving. Get it? Banana split in the glass? You guys are smart.
For toppings, I went with plenty of coconut whipped cream, shredded coconut, cacao nibs (a must!), and a cherry.
I think you’re going to LOVE this smoothie! It’s:
& So delicious
This would make a perfectly suitable breakfast if you prefer sweeter smoothies, but I see it as more of a dessert! The coconut whip, shredded coconut, and cacao nibs send it over the top (highly recommended)!
If you give this recipe a try, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it, and tag a picture #minimalistbaker on Instagram so we can see. Cheers, friends!
- 2 medium-large bananas, ripe, peeled, sliced and frozen
- 2 Tbsp (6 g) cacao powder (or cocoa powder)
- 1 Tbsp (16 g) salted almond butter (if unsalted, add pinch sea salt)
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) unsweetened almond milk (more depending on preferred thickness)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- optional: 2 pitted dates (for extra sweetness)
- 1 just ripe banana, peeled and sliced lengthwise
- Coconut whipped cream
- Ripe cherries
- 1 Tbsp (3 g) shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1 Tbsp (4 g) cacao nibs
- Add frozen banana, cacao powder, almond butter, and almond milk to a blender and blend on low until thick and creamy (see photo), scraping down sides as needed. You are looking for a soft serve consistency.
- Add vanilla extract, dates (optional), and a bit more almond milk and blend once more until thick and creamy and well blended. Taste and adjust flavor as needed, adding more almond butter for nuttiness, vanilla extract for vanilla flavor, salt for flavor balance, or cacao powder for more intense chocolate flavor. Set blender in freezer or refrigerator while preparing serving glasses.
- Cut a banana in half lengthwise and peel. Then slice in half lengthwise again (so you have four pieces). Slide banana wedges down into two serving glasses (or 1 large serving glass, as pictured), and press with a spoon to “adhere” to the sides.
- Add smoothie and top with desired toppings, such as coconut whipped cream, cherries, shredded coconut, and cacao nibs (I highly recommend all!).
- Best when fresh but can be covered and frozen up to 2 days. Let thaw before enjoying.