Who else is craving one last soul-warming dessert before spring truly arrives? I hoped you say yes.
If you’re into chocolate and spice and all things decadence, this is the one for you. (Also, don’t worry. I’ll never stop making decadent desserts. Promise.)
This recipe is simple, requiring just 7 ingredients and 15 minutes.
To achieve that Mayan spice profile, I went for ground cinnamon for warmth, nutmeg for a slight nuttiness, and cayenne for heat. A pinch of salt balances the sweetness of the dark chocolate, and coconut whipped cream sends things over the top. Swoon.
This beverage is my new chocolate obsession. It’s:
& Super satisfying
If you’re like me and often just want a little something sweet after dinner, this is the one for you. Topped with coconut whipped cream, a pinch more cinnamon and cayenne, and some dark chocolate, you’ll be in chocolate heaven in no time.
If you try this recipe, let us know! Leave a comment or take a picture and tag it #minimalistbaker on Instagram. Cheers!
Vegan Mayan Drinking Chocolate
- 2 cups non-dairy milk (I use half full-fat coconut + half unsweetened almond milk)
- 5 ounces dairy-free dark chocolate (chopped // 70% cacao is best // 5 ounces yield ~1 cup)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp cayenne (more or less, depending on preferred spice)
- 1 pinch nutmeg (optional)
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1-2 Tbsp raw cane or coconut sugar (optional)
- Coconut Whipped Cream (for topping)
- Add dairy-free milk to a small saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Add dark chocolate and whisk to combine.
- Add spices and whisk vigorously to combine.
- Once chocolate is completely melted, remove from heat, and add vanilla extract. Whisk to combine. Taste and adjust flavors as needed, adding sugar or sweetener of choice if not sweet enough. Add more cayenne for kick.
- To serve, top with coconut whipped cream, a dusting of cocoa or cacao powder (optional), and any additional spices and/or chocolate desired.
- Store leftover drinking chocolate covered in the refrigerator for up to a few days. Freeze for longer term storage, though best when fresh.
*Adapted from my Vegan Peppermint Drinking Chocolate.