The sticky bun. So elusive. So majestic. So, sticky.
How do you make them? Is there a glaze? Is there a complicated technique? Is it wizardry?
Just a few of the thoughts I had before attempting these beauties. However, I’m elated to report that if you can master my World’s Easiest Cinnamon Rolls (and you totally can), you can master the World’s Easiest Vegan Sticky Buns, too!
It all starts with a simple dough that rises in 1 hour.
To keep things a little on the healthier side, I went with a 2:1 mix of unbleached all purpose and whole wheat pastry flour for slightly-hearty-but-still-decadent roll.
You could also go entirely all-purpose for true bakery style, all whole-wheat pastry for a healthier roll, or some other combination that I haven’t thought of! I suspect part spelt flour would work swimmingly.
So how are these simple? I’m glad you asked.
9 ingredients (pecans being the 9th and optional ingredient)
One true rise = less waiting
No fancy techniques or equipment involved
See? You can totally do this. Believe it.
If you’re wondering how these sticky buns get their ooey-gooey glaze, it’s simple:
From a simple brown sugar, vegan butter mixture that you spread in the bottom of the baking dish.
Then you add pecans and your unbaked rolls and bake until fluffy and golden brown. Wait a few minutes, invert the pan, and voila! You have bakery-worthy sticky buns that will mystify your friends and family as to how you made them. Go you.
So what do these studs taste like? Amazing. They’re
Loaded with pecans
& Better with each bite
I could hardly stand taking photos of these rolls. Look at them! I wanted to inhale the whole batch and forgo photographs altogether. But I managed to hold off 30 minutes for pictures before I delighted in one from the center of the batch.
If you’ve ever eaten a cinnamon roll or sticky bun, you know it’s kind of like unwrapping a treasure. You start from the outside and work your way in until you get to that last, sticky center bite that undoubtably has the most sugar and butter.
Savor that bite, friends. Savor it like it’s never going to happen again. Then repeat! These rolls are simply amazing and so easy to make. DO IT.
If you give these a go, let me know how you liked them! And be sure to snap a photo and tag it #minimalistbaker on Instagram. It makes my day when I see you guys making and enjoying our recipes. Cheers!
The World’s Easiest Sticky Buns
- 1 cup Unsweetened Original Almond Breeze almond milk
- 3 Tbsp vegan butter
- 1 packet rapid-rise (instant) yeast (1 packet yields ~ 2 1/4 tsp)
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 1/2 – 3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour (I mixed all-purpose and whole-wheat pastry 2:1)
- 1/4 cup vegan butter (melted)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar OR granulated sugar
- 1/2-1 Tbsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup vegan butter
- 1/2 cup pecans (chopped)
- In a large sauce pan (or in a bowl in the microwave at 30 sec increments), heat the almond milk and vegan butter until warm and melted, never reaching boiling. Remove from heat and let cool to 110 degrees (43C), or the temperature of bath water. It should be warm but not too hot or it will kill the yeast.
- Transfer mixture to a large mixing bowl and sprinkle on yeast. Let activate for 10 minutes, then add sugar and the salt and stir (you should see some foaming / bubbling if the yeast is fresh and the water temperature is correct).
- Next add in flour 1/2 cup at a time, stirring as you go. The dough will be sticky. When it is too thick to stir, transfer to a lightly floured surface and knead for a minute or so until it forms a loose ball, adding more flour as you go and as it will absorb. Rinse your mixing bowl out, coat it with avocado oil or other neutral oil, and add your dough ball back in. Roll around to coat all sides. Cover with plastic wrap and set in a warm place to rise for about 1 hour, or until doubled in size.
- While dough is rising, prepare sticky glaze by mixing butter and brown sugar and spreading it in an even layer on the bottom of an 8×8 baking dish (adjust if altering batch size). Top with pecans and set aside.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough into a thin rectangle. Brush with melted vegan butter and top with brown sugar (or granulated sugar) and cinnamon.
- Starting at one end, tightly roll up the dough and situate seam side down. Then with a serrated knife or a string of floss, cut the dough into 1.5 – 2 inch sections and position in your 8×8 dish with the glaze layer on the bottom (you should have about 10 rolls as original recipe is written // adjust if altering batch size). Cover with plastic wrap and set on top of the oven to let it briefly rise again while you preheat oven to 350 degrees (176 C).
- Once the oven is hot, bake rolls for 25-30 minutes or until slightly golden brown. Let cool for a few minutes, carefully invert, and then serve immediately.
*Also adapted from Ina Garten
*Nutrition information is a rough estimate.
Leave a Comment & Rating!