After not being thrilled with the vegan cheese selections at the store, we set out to make our own, specifically cheddar! Cheddar is a classic flavor that’s so versatile, vibrant in color, and delicious on things like grilled cheese, mac ‘n’ cheese, and more (swoon). And after cracking the code on vegan cheddar cheese, it was time to make a grilled cheese sandwich!
Thick slices of sourdough are buttered and spread with a generous layer of vegan cheddar cheese then grilled until toasty and golden brown. The result? A crispy, buttery, salty, cheesy, melty, incredibly flavorful, comforting vegan grilled cheese sandwich that’s made with wholesome ingredients. Let us show you how it’s done!
How to Make a Vegan Grilled Cheese
It all starts with the cheese! And this, friends, tastes like the real deal! Plus, no unrecognizable ingredients required.
Our vegan cheddar recipe is made with a base of cashews and carrots. Then it’s blended up with tapioca starch, nutritional yeast, apple cider vinegar, sea salt, and spices. Finally, it’s gently heated into a spreadable sauce.
With the cheese ready, just 1 pan and 15 minutes stand between you and this sandwich! Butter the bread, spread on the cheese, and cook it in a skillet until golden brown, crispy, and with warm melty cheese in the middle.
We hope you LOVE this vegan grilled cheese! It’s:
Quick & Easy
& SO delicious!
It’s the perfect lunch or dinner when craving something satisfying yet simple. And the homemade cheese keeps well in the fridge or freezer, shortening the time between craving and comfort! It’s especially delicious paired with a bowl of soup, such as our Creamy Roasted Red Pepper Tomato Soup, Creamy Asparagus and Pea Soup, 1-Pot Everyday Lentil Soup, or Roasted Butternut Squash Soup.
More Vegan Sandwich Recipes
- BBQ Jackfruit Sandwiches with Avocado Slaw
- Chickpea Sunflower Sandwich
- Cauliflower Banh Mi
- Grilled Nutella Banana Sandwich
If you try this recipe, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a photo #minimalistbaker on Instagram. Cheers, friends!
The BEST Vegan Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- 2 large slices vegan bread of your choice (sturdy bread is better for crunch / flavor — we prefer sourdough // gluten-free if needed)
- 1 Tbsp vegan butter (we like Miyoko’s with a hint of salt // use more or less depending on size of bread)
- 4-5 Tbsp Vegan Cheddar Cheese (spread // or sub comparable amount of store-bought cheddar cheese slices or shreds)
- In the meantime, butter both sides of your bread.
- Once skillet is hot, add your bread and lightly toast both sides (~1-2 minutes) — this develops flavor and crunch on both sides of the sandwich.
- Remove bread from the pan and spread a semi-thick layer of vegan cheddar cheese on one side of both slices of bread. Then fold the slices together to make a sandwich (cheese in the center).
- Return sandwich to the skillet and continue cooking over medium heat, flipping a couple times until both sides are nice and golden brown and crispy, and the cheese appears melty and gooey (~5-8 more minutes — lowering heat as needed if browning too quickly).
- Enjoy hot. Slice in half for serving if desired. Best when fresh. Pairs beautifully with soup!