There are two foods I can eat to no virtually no end: anything dark chocolate and peanut butter, and sugar cookies. Not just any sugar cookies; my aunt Patti’s famous, soft sugar cookies that she’s brought to Christmas every year for as long as I remember. Sometime around November I go ahead and resolve that I’m going to fall off the wagon on these cookies. But because I only fall off the food wagon a few
10 times a year, I figure it’s totally worth it. After all, they’re sugar cookies! I mean, c’mon. Live a little.
Here’s the thing about sugar cookies. They contain lots and lots of butter, sugar and gluten, the last one being a major offender for a growing number of people. But I say you can still have cookies, you just have to get creative and replace the gluten with something else, like a baking blend? Yes, like a gluten-free baking blend. Exactly.
After trying my baking blend/pancake mix in GF chocolate chip cookies and having such wild success, I knew sugar cookies were my next target. And I’m happy to report that it totally worked! Again!
This mix produced some of the softest, fluffiest, most flavorful sugar cookies I’ve ever had – no joke! Who says you need gluten after all…?
These cookies are little pillows of Christmas-y goodness.
Fluffy + soft
Infused with vanilla
Perfect on their own
Or topped with sprinkles.
& Not at all grainy or tough.
Anyway you put it, these guys are a total dream! Make them for your family and friends this holiday season. I bet you so much cheddar bank that they won’t be able to tell they’re gluten free – not one bit. Enjoy!
P.S. Stick around till Tuesday for a healthier 4-ingredient frosting recipe that goes perfectly with these cookies. In the meantime, gobble them up as is. They’re seriously that good.
NOTE: Recipe updated on January 8, 2016 to remove the mention of using other gluten free baking mixes in place of my gluten-free baking mix. I haven’t tested these cookies with any other gluten-free mix than my Gluten-Free Pancake/Baking Mix. Be sure to use that blend in this recipe, otherwise I can’t guarantee the results.
Super Soft Gluten Free Sugar Cookies
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (softened // 1 stick = 1/2 cup)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 cups gluten-free baking mix*
- 1/3 cup milk
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together softened butter and sugar until creamy. Add egg and vanilla and mix again until well combined, scraping sides of bowl as needed.
- Next, alternate adding baking mix and milk until a thick dough forms. Depending on the flour blend/baking mix you use, this will take anywhere between 2.75 – 3.25 cups (as original recipe is written). I found that 3 was about the right amount. Cover and refrigerate at least 2-3 hours, preferably overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 C). Scoop rounded 1 Tbsp amounts of dough and gently roll/form into balls. Place 2 inches apart on pan to allow for spreading.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until slightly golden brown around the edges and no longer wet. They should be pretty puffy but not have a lot of color. Otherwise they’ll become too dry.
- Let set on pan for a few minutes, then use a spatula to transfer to a cooling rack. I topped mine with a few sprinkles, but these would also be excellent with a simple frosting of 2 cups powdered sugar + 1 Tbsp melted butter + 1-2 Tbsp milk OR my simple 4 ingredient macadamia coconut frosting. Store covered in an airtight container for several days. Freeze for longer term storage. Makes between 36-42 cookies (as original recipe is written).
*We do not recommend subbing baking mix with flour as the cookies likely will not rise correctly without baking soda and baking powder.
*Nutrition information is a rough estimate.
Leave a Comment & Rating!