Olives — you either love them or you hate them. And this recipe is definitely for the olive lovers in the house!
If you’re looking for a way to get more olives in your life – or just a delicious new dip or spread – this tapenade is the perfect solution.
With just 6 ingredients and 5 minutes required, it’s about as easy a recipe as they come. Let’s do this!
Origin of Tapenade
Before we get started, let’s pay our dues to the creators of tapenade: Italy! That’s right, although it’s more commonly thought of as French dish, tapenade has its roots in Italy where first written record of tapenade was by Italians in the first century AD. (source)
The word tapenade comes from the Provençal word for capers tapenos. Tapenade is primarily made with olives but also typically features capers. Learn more about the history of tapenade here! And try this more authentic preparation of French tapenade.
What is a Tapenade?
A tapenade is a thick, olive-based sauce spread (similar to pesto in texture), typically enjoyed as an appetizer over bread or pizza. Yum.
It all starts with delicious, rich olives. We prefer green or Kalamata olives from the olive bar at the grocery store, but any brined olives should work!
To give this tapenade a fresh, tangy flavor, we used garlic, sun-dried tomatoes, basil, and lemon. The tomatoes provide richness, the garlic adds a bit of zing, and the lemon brightens the dip with all the acidity.
Bonus? It all comes together in a food processor! Simply pulse until a chunky texture is achieved. Olive oil will help thin out the dip, if desired.
We hope you LOVE this recipe as much as we do! It’s:
This dip makes the perfect appetizer! Our favorite way to enjoy it is atop hummus and crackers. It also goes great with freshly sliced vegetables such as cucumber and carrots. It’s especially delicious as a sandwich spread with the Trashy Vegan Sandwich from our Everyday Cooking Cookbook, or our Chickpea Sunflower Sandwich.
If you try this recipe, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a photo #minimalistbaker on Instagram. Cheers, friends!
Sun-Dried Tomato & Basil Olive Tapenade (5 Minutes!)
- 2 cups pitted, drained olives (we love Kalamata and green olives)
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1/3 cup sun-dried tomatoes (not packed in oil)*
- 1/3 cup tightly packed fresh basil
- 1-2 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 Tbsp lemon juice (1 lemon yields ~3 Tbsp or 45 ml)
FOR SERVING optional
- Pita chips / crackers (ensure gluten-free for GF eaters)
- Add olives, garlic, sun-dried tomatoes, basil, olive oil (starting with lesser amount), and lemon juice to a food processor and mix/pulse to achieve a dip with some texture. Scrape down sides as needed.
- Taste and adjust seasonings as needed, adding more sun-dried tomatoes for tomato flavor, basil for fresh herb flavor, lemon juice for acidity, olive oil to thin, or garlic for bite. Optional: Add a pinch of salt and pepper, though we didn’t find it needed it.
- Store in the refrigerator up to 7-10 days. Freeze for long-term storage, though best when fresh.
*Recipe as originally written makes ~1 ½ cups.
*Nutrition information is a rough estimate calculated with the lesser amount of olive oil.