Do you have any embarrassing childhood cereal obsessions? My ultimate indulgence was Fruity Pebbles, then came Lucky Charms, and later, Frosted Mini Wheats. And when I was in college I developed a thing for Special K with Strawberries.
Are you sensing a pattern? I got progressively more old lady in my cereal tastes as I got older (appropriately so). And these days I don’t even buy cereal and only make my own – the ultimate grandma move.
But be I honest, I miss strawberry cereal and was on a mission to recreate an inspired version at home. Spoiler alert: It’s ridiculously easy and crazy delicious.
This granola comes together in about 30 minutes and requires just 8 ingredients!
Rolled oats, nuts, and coconut form the base.
Coconut oil helps everything crisp up.
Maple syrup and coconut sugar add natural sweetness.
And the star of the show is freeze-dried strawberries!
Freeze dried fruit is extremely delicious when drowned in a bowl of milk. Ugh. Trust me, I did some testing and the results were conclusive.
I hope you all love this granola! It’s:
Fiber- + protein-packed
Make a batch of this granola to have on hand during the week for breakfast and on-the-go snacks. It’s tasty on its own, but it’s ideal when drowned in almond milk and topped with bananas. Yum.
If you try this recipe, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it, and take a picture and tag it #minimalistbaker on Instagram. I LOVE seeing your photos. It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Cheers, friends! (P.S. Here are 8 more Simple Granola Recipes!)
Strawberry Coconut Granola
- 1 1/2 cups gluten-free rolled oats
- 1 3/4 cups raw nuts (I like pecans and almonds // roughly chopped)
- 2 Tbsp coconut sugar (or sub organic brown sugar, muscovado, or organic cane sugar)
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 3 1/2 Tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 cup maple syrup (or agave nectar)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened large flake or desiccated coconut
- 1.2 ounces unsweetened freeze-dried strawberries (I like Trader Joe’s brand)
- Preheat oven to 340 degrees F (171 C) .
- Add oats, nuts, coconut sugar, and salt to a large mixing bowl. Stir to combine.
- To a small saucepan, add coconut oil and maple syrup. Warm over medium heat for 2-3 minutes, whisking frequently until the two are totally combined and there is no visible separation.
- Immediately pour over the dry ingredients and stir to combine until all oats and nuts are thoroughly coated. Arrange on a bare large baking sheet and spread into an even layer (use more baking sheets, as needed, if increasing batch size).
- Bake for 20 minutes. Then remove from oven, add coconut, and stir/toss the granola. Turn the pan around so the other end goes into the oven first (so it bakes evenly) and bake 5-8 minutes more. Watch carefully as to not burn, especially the coconut. You’ll know it’s done when the granola is deep golden brown and very fragrant.
- Let cool completely before adding the strawberries. Toss to combine. Enjoy as a plain snack, or top with bananas and dairy-free milk!
- Store leftovers in a sealed bag or container at room temperature for 2-3 weeks or in the freezer for up to 1 month or longer.