Hey, hey, hey it’s tomato soup! With its buddy roasted red pepper. Oh, they’re going to hit it off so well, I just know it.
I’d never made tomato soup before – I know. What the heck? But I fixed that this week.
In the midst of some chilly winter weather I had serious a craving for grilled cheese and tomato soup, so I got to work. The recipe is inspired by one I found in the Sprouted Kitchen cookbook, only it’s a vegan version with the addition of roasted red pepper.
10 ingredients and simple seasonings – you likely have everything you need on hand right now. If you’ve never taken the leap and made your own tomato soup, now is the perfect time to do it. Besides, you already have a grilled cheese to use as a spoon. A big, cheesy, delicious spoon.
This soup can be made as intensely flavorful as you wish by simply adding more garlic, salt and pepper, fresh herbs and/or additional tomato paste. It can also be made more rich by adding real cream. I opted for almond milk to keep it dairy free, but I can imagine the real stuff would send it over the top.
I loved how filling and satisfying it was and am excited that I now have a go-to tomato soup recipe as it’s one of my favorite winter dishes. Hope you enjoy it as much as we did.
Roasted Red Pepper Tomato Soup
- 3 ripe, vine ripened tomatoes
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/2 large yellow onion
- 1 medium red pepper
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 28-oz. can peeled, whole plum tomatoes (I used San Marzano)
- 3-4 Tbsp tomato paste
- Sea salt and black pepper
- 1 cup low-sodium veggie broth
- 1/2 cup plain almond milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (176 C).
- Cut tomatoes and onions into wedges and remove some of the tomato seeds with your fingers. Remove seeds from red pepper and cut into even slices.
- Place all of the veggies, including the garlic, on a baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil, a generous pinch of sea salt and black pepper and toss. Roast for 40-45 minutes, or until the veggies are tender, lightly browned and close to half their original size. Remove from oven and set aside.
- In a large pot over medium to medium-high heat, add canned tomatoes, veggie broth, tomato paste, vine-ripened tomatoes, and the roasted veggies. Add another pinch of salt and pepper, stir and bring to a low boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Then use an immersion blender, food processor or blender to puree your soup (leave some whole veggies if you prefer more texture).
- Return to pot and add plain almond milk (and more broth if it’s too thick for your liking). You can also sub cream or regular milk.
- Cook for 5-10 minutes more on medium to medium-low heat and serve warm.
- Optional garnishes: pesto, oregano, parsley, roasted red pepper flake, vegan parmesan cheese, basil, garlic croutons. Will keep in the fridge for several days.
*Adapted from sprouted kitchen
Leave a Comment & Rating!