Sometimes you just need something indulgent and you need it fast: Enter, this red velvet smoothie. It captures the flavors and colors of red velvet cake but with wholesome ingredients like banana, beets, cocoa powder, and dates. Swoon!
Just 5 minutes, 1 blender, and 6 ingredients required for this incredibly satisfying smoothie inspired by red velvet cake. Red velvet cake is a Southern dish that originated in the 1800s. Those wanting a deeper dive into the history of red velvet cake can find more information here and here.
Ingredients in this Red Velvet Smoothie
The star of this smoothie is raw beet. It provides a vibrant, red color and subtle, earthy flavor. Beets are also loaded with antioxidants and believed to support cardiovascular health and a healthy inflammatory response.
Pair beets with cocoa (or cacao) powder and hello, red velvet cake!
Frozen banana is added for creaminess and sweetness to balance out the beet. Whenever I have extra bananas to eat before they become too ripe, I like to freeze them. Just slice, add to a parchment-lined baking sheet, freeze, and transfer to a sealed container.
Dates add delicious bits of sweetness and vanilla extract adds more flavor.
We hope you LOVE this red velvet smoothie! It’s:
Quick & easy
& Incredibly delicious!
It’s perfect for any time you are craving something indulgent yet wholesome! While delicious on its own, you can take this smoothie to the next level by topping with our Red Velvet Cake Balls and Coconut Whipped Cream. Swoon!
More Beet Recipes
- Fudgy Vegan Double Chocolate Beet Muffins
- Roasted Beet Hummus
- Curried Beet Soup with Tandoori Chickpeas
- Detoxifying Beet & Berry Smoothie
If you try this recipe, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a photo #minimalistbaker on Instagram. Cheers, friends!
Red Velvet Cake Smoothie
- 2 ripe, frozen (peeled) bananas (~2 heaping cups as recipe is written)
- 1/3 cup cubed beet (raw OR roasted/steamed until tender, then frozen*)
- 2 Tbsp cocoa powder (or cacao powder)
- 2 pitted dates
- 3/4 cup dairy free milk , plus more as needed (we like coconut or almond)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- If using raw beets, chop, measure out, and set aside. If cooking, see notes. Add all ingredients to a high-speed blender and blend until creamy and smooth, adding more dairy-free milk as needed to help blend.
- Taste and adjust flavor as needed, adding more dates for sweetness, beets for earthier flavor / more intense magenta color, or cocoa / cacao powder for richer chocolate flavor.
- Serve immediately. Enjoy as is or top with red velvet cake balls, cocoa / cacao powder, beetroot powder, or coconut whipped cream (all optional). Best when fresh. Will keep in the freezer up to 2 weeks (thaw before enjoying).
*Nutrition information is a rough estimate calculated with unsweetened fortified almond milk and without optional ingredients.