Pickled onions are a great way to repurpose leftover raw onion or to elevate the flavor of just about any dish.
They’re super simple to make, requiring just 4 ingredients that you likely have on hand right now!
How to Make Pickled Onions
- Add sliced onions to a glass jar (we prefer red onion)
- Heat vinegar in a saucepan (we prefer red wine vinegar for this recipe)
- Add sugar and salt and stir to dissolve
- Pour vinegar mixture over onions, making sure to completely submerge them in the vinegar mixture
- Allow to marinate for at least 1 hour (or longer for more intense flavor)
We hope you LOVE these pickled onions. They’re:
& SO delicious!
If you try this recipe, let us know! We love seeing your comments, ratings, and photos tagged #minimalistbaker on Instagram. Cheers, friends!
Quick Pickled Onions
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 2/3 cup red wine vinegar (we prefer red wine vinegar for best flavor and color, but white or apple cider can also work)
- 2/3 cup water (for stronger flavor, sub vinegar)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 Tbsp organic cane sugar (or stevia to taste)
- Add sliced onion to a mason jar or glass container. Set aside.
- To a small saucepan add red wine vinegar, water, salt, and sugar. Bring to a simmer over medium heat and stir to fully dissolve salt and sugar. Taste and adjust flavor as needed, adding more salt or sugar to taste.
- Pour the brine over the onions, ensuring they are fully submerged. If needed, add more vinegar or a little water to cover.
- Seal well and shake to combine. Then refrigerate for at least 1 hour (or at least 30 minutes if in a hurry). The flavors will deepen and intensify the longer it marinates. Best flavor is achieved after 24 hours.
- Will keep in the refrigerator for 2-3 weeks (sometimes longer). Not freezer friendly.