Pickled onions are a great way to repurpose leftover raw onion or to elevate the flavor of just about any dish.
They’re super simple to make, requiring just 4 ingredients that you likely have on hand right now!
How to Make Pickled Onions
- Add sliced onions to a glass jar (we prefer red onion)
- Heat vinegar in a saucepan (we prefer red wine vinegar for this recipe)
- Add sugar and salt and stir to dissolve
- Pour vinegar mixture over onions, making sure to completely submerge them in the vinegar mixture
- Allow to marinate for at least 1 hour (or longer for more intense flavor)
We hope you LOVE these pickled onions. They’re:
& SO delicious!
If you try this recipe, let us know! We love seeing your comments, ratings, and photos tagged #minimalistbaker on Instagram. Cheers, friends!
Quick Pickled Onions
A step-by-step guide for making quick pickled onions. Perfect for sandwiches, salads, and so much more! Only 4 ingredients required!
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 2/3 cup red wine vinegar (we prefer red wine vinegar for best flavor and color, but white or apple cider can also work)
- 2/3 cup water (for stronger flavor, sub vinegar)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 Tbsp organic cane sugar (or stevia to taste)
Add sliced onion to a mason jar or glass container. Set aside.
To a small saucepan add red wine vinegar, water, salt, and sugar. Bring to a simmer over medium heat and stir to fully dissolve salt and sugar. Taste and adjust flavor as needed, adding more salt or sugar to taste.
Pour the brine over the onions, ensuring they are fully submerged. If needed, add more vinegar or a little water to cover.
Seal well and shake to combine. Then refrigerate for at least 1 hour (or at least 30 minutes if in a hurry). The flavors will deepen and intensify the longer it marinates. Best flavor is achieved after 24 hours.
Will keep in the refrigerator for 2-3 weeks (sometimes longer). Not freezer friendly.
*Nutrition information is a rough estimate.
Nutrition Per Serving (1 of 6 quarter-cup servings)
- Calories: 17
- Sodium: 197mg
- Potassium: 27mg
- Carbohydrates: 3.2g
- Fiber: 0.2g
- Sugar: 2.5g
- Protein: 0.1g
- Vitamin A: 0.23IU
- Vitamin C: 1mg
- Calcium: 4.73mg
- Iron: 0.14mg