It’s broccoli time, friends! And we think we may have found the best way to prepare it! This cheesy, savory roasted broccoli is crispy on the edges but tender on the inside, making it easier to chew and digest. It’s so good we were eating it right off the pan!
It’s quick & easy to prepare and the perfect salty side to enjoy with all your favorite savory and creamy mains (salmon, stew, and beyond!). With just 25 minutes and 4 ingredients required, you are mere moments away from perfect broccoli! Let’s do this!
How to Roast Broccoli
Friends, this is not your average roasted broccoli recipe! It’s better! And we have a few tricks to share with you:
First, cut the broccoli into small florets to maximize the amount of seasoning and caramelization on each bite. Also, smaller florets cook faster (we’re into that around here)!
When it comes to cooking the broccoli, we start with an optional (but recommended) step of lightly steaming it before roasting. Why? This method gives you the benefits of steaming (easier to chew and digest) without sacrificing the beautiful caramelized flavor of roasting! It’s the best of both worlds.
Next, we get to the seasonings. Our favorite, simple way to season broccoli is with olive or avocado oil, vegan parmesan cheese, salt, and minced garlic. It’s just the right amount of saltiness and (dairy-free) cheesiness to make even broccoli haters reconsider.
We then roast the broccoli at 425 degrees Fahrenheit (215 C) for 10-15 minutes until the edges are golden brown and the broccoli is tender. If you’re making a larger batch, be sure to use a large baking sheet (or several) so there’s enough space between the broccoli florets to encourage browning.
We hope you LOVE this roasted broccoli! It’s:
Tender with crispy edges
Easier to chew and digest
Quick & easy
& Addictively delicious!
What To Eat with Roasted Broccoli
Roasted broccoli pairs well with nearly any main and is especially delicious with savory and creamy ones like our Vegan Pasta Al Limone, Creamy Vegan Pink Pasta (30 Minutes!), Lentil Mushroom Stew over Mashed Potatoes, and Lemon Baked Salmon with Garlic Dill Sauce.
More Delicious Ways to Eat Broccoli
- Cheesy Roasted Broccoli & Chickpea Kale Salad
- Creamy Vegan Broccoli Salad (Mayo-Free!)
- 1-Pot Pumpkin Yellow Curry
- 30-Minute Quinoa Fried Rice
If you try this recipe, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a photo #minimalistbaker on Instagram. Cheers, friends!
Perfect Roasted Broccoli with Vegan Parmesan
- 4 cups small broccoli florets (2 heads broccoli yield ~4 cups florets)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil (or avocado oil)
- 1/4 cup vegan parmesan cheese
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 2 cloves minced garlic (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 425 F (215 C) and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Optional: For more tender and easier to digest broccoli our preferred method is to lightly steam it first. To steam the broccoli, place a steamer basket in a large pot. Fill the pot with at least 1/4-inch of water, but not so much that it touches the bottom of the steamer basket. Bring water to a boil, then add broccoli florets to the steamer basket and cook for 2-4 minutes or until bright green and just tender enough to pierce with a fork. Remove from the pot and set aside until cool enough to handle.
- To the parchment-lined baking sheet, add (raw or steamed) broccoli florets. Drizzle with oil then sprinkle with vegan parmesan cheese, salt, and garlic (optional). Toss to evenly coat the broccoli, making sure each floret is laying on its flattest side and no florets are overlapping.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes or until broccoli is golden brown on the edges and tender when pierced with a fork.
- Best when fresh. Leftovers will keep stored in a sealed container in the refrigerator for 2-3 days. Reheat leftovers in a cast-iron skillet until warmed through. Not freezer friendly.
*Nutrition information is a rough estimate calculated with olive oil and without optional ingredients.