We’ve previously shared a tutorial on How to Make Bone Broth. And now we’re sharing a super simple and comforting way to use it!
This nourishing 7-ingredient bone broth tonic requires just 1 pot and 5 minutes to prepare. Let us show you how it’s done!
Origins of Bone Broth
It may be all the rage these days, but bone broth isn’t a new concept! Its origins trace as far back as 2,500 years ago where it was used in Chinese medicine for supporting kidney and digestive health.
Since then, bone broth has been used for both culinary and medicinal purposes around the world. Learn more about its use in various cultures here.
How to Make a Bone Broth Tonic
It starts with adding the bone broth to a small saucepan to gently warm it.
Nutritional yeast is added for umami flavor and sea salt for overall flavor and trace minerals.
Turmeric is added for its anti-inflammatory properties and black pepper to aid absorption (consider it turmeric’s wingman).
Green onion and garlic are added for a bit of spice (plus they’re rich in sulfur, which supports detoxification).
For a hint of brightness, we like to finish the tonic off with a squeeze of lemon (but it’s optional).
We hope you LOVE this tonic. It’s:
Easy to digest
This would be the perfect beverage for warming up on cold mornings, while battling a cold or flu, or any time you’re craving easy-to-digest nourishment.
More Nourishing Beverages
- Lemon Ginger Turmeric Wellness Shots
- 5-Minute Mushroom Latte (2 Ways!)
- 3-Ingredient Moringa Latte (Caffeine-Free “Matcha!”)
- Easy Green Juice Recipe + Juicing Tips
If you try this recipe, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a photo #minimalistbaker on Instagram. Cheers, friends!
Nourishing Bone Broth Tonic (5 Minutes)
- 10 oz. chicken bone broth (or sub high quality store-bought — organic pasture-raised when possible)
- 1 tsp nutritional yeast (if yeast-free, omit)
- 1 healthy pinch sea salt (plus more to taste)
- 1 healthy pinch black pepper (plus more to taste)
- 1 healthy pinch ground turmeric
- 1 stalk green onion, finely sliced (stems and ends removed)
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and minced or pressed
- Squeeze of lemon juice (optional)
- To a small saucepan add bone broth and heat over medium-high heat. In the meantime, add nutritional yeast, salt, pepper, turmeric, finely sliced green onion, and minced garlic. The broth should come to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for about 1 minute.
- Taste and adjust flavor as needed, adding more salt and pepper to taste, nutritional yeast for depth of flavor, or garlic for kick. We also added a squeeze of lemon at the end for brightness (optional).
- Serve hot. Store cooled leftovers in the refrigerator up to 3-4 days, though best when fresh (especially if you’ve already added the onion).