With an Instant Pot and 30 minutes (after soaking), you can make perfectly cooked baby lima beans every time! Let us show you how.
Instant Pot Lima Beans
The Instant Pot is our preferred method for cooking lima beans because it’s quick, easy, and yields perfectly tender beans!
While most beans don’t need to be soaked before cooking in the Instant Pot, we highly recommend soaking lima beans. We tested not soaking them, but the center of the beans wouldn’t fully cook.
Here’s what you need to know:
- Soak the beans for at least 6-8 hours, then drain
- Ratio = 1 part baby lima beans : 3 parts water
- Cook Time = 7 minutes
- Release = 15 minute natural release, then release any remaining pressure
Baby lima beans have a mild, creamy, buttery flavor and texture, making them incredibly versatile and delicious. They can be enjoyed in stews, soups, salads, and more. And they’re even delicious by the spoonful!
Did you find this helpful? If so, be sure to check out our Instant Pot Cooking Times Guide for perfectly cooked grains and beans every time!
If you try this recipe, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a photo #minimalistbaker on Instagram. Cheers, friends!
Instant Pot Lima Beans (Fast, Tender, Perfect!)
- 1 cup baby lima beans (white, not green)
- 3 cups water (or vegetable broth for more flavor)
- Add lima beans to a bowl and cover with cool water by about 3 inches (ensuring they’re well submerged). Soak overnight, or for at least 6-8 hours at room temperature.
- Drain lima beans, then add to the Instant Pot. Add water and stir to prevent sticking. Pressure cook on high for 7 minutes (it will take about 8 minutes for the Instant Pot to pressurize before cooking begins).
- Once the timer goes off, allow to naturally release for 15 minutes, then release any remaining pressure. Carefully remove lid once steam has fully escaped and strain off any excess cooking liquid.
*Total time includes active cook time, release time, and the time it takes for the Instant Pot to heat up (~8 minutes).
*Prep time does not include soaking beans.