With an Instant Pot and about 1 hour, you can make perfectly cooked kidney beans every time! Let us show you how.
Instant Pot Kidney Beans
The Instant Pot is our preferred method for cooking kidney beans because it’s quick and easy (no soaking required!), and yields perfectly tender beans!
Here’s what you need to know:
- Ratio = 1 part kidney beans : 3 ½ parts water
- Cook Time = 40-45 minutes
- Release = 15 minute natural release, then release any remaining pressure
Kidney beans are versatile and go especially well in stews, soups, chili, pasta, salads, or alongside steamed or sautéed greens.
Did you find this helpful? If so, be sure to check out our Instant Pot Cooking Times Guide for perfectly cooked grains and beans every time!
If you try this recipe, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a photo #minimalistbaker on Instagram. Cheers, friends!
Instant Pot Kidney Beans (Fast, Tender, No Soaking!)
- 1 cup kidney beans
- 3 ½ cups water (or vegetable broth for more flavor)
- Add kidney beans and water (or vegetable broth) to the Instant Pot and stir to prevent sticking. Pressure cook on high for 40-45 minutes (40 minutes for more firm, 45 for more tender // it will take about 8 minutes for the Instant Pot to pressurize before cooking begins).
- Once the timer goes off, allow to naturally release for 15 minutes, then release any remaining pressure. Carefully remove lid once steam has fully escaped and strain off any excess cooking liquid.
- Enjoy immediately in stews, soups, chili, pasta, salads, or alongside steamed or sautéed greens. Store cooled leftovers in the refrigerator up to 5 days or in the freezer up to 1 month. Reheat in a saucepan on the stovetop, adding a little water, as needed, to prevent sticking.
*Total time includes active cook time, release time, and the time it takes for the Instant Pot to heat up (~8 minutes).
Leave a Comment & Rating!