Introducing the ULTIMATE vegan strawberry milkshake — thick, creamy, classic strawberry flavor, and just 4 simple ingredients. It’s maple-sweetened and made without ice cream but has ALL the fresh, rich flavor you know and love.
It’s almost too good to be true, but you better believe it! Let’s make strawberry milkshakes!
How to Make a Strawberry Milkshake Without Ice Cream
If you don’t have ice cream at the moment, or you’re trying to keep things naturally sweetened or avoid some of the unrecognizable ingredients in store-bought products, we have just the solution for your craving: a strawberry milkshake made without ice cream!
It features fresh sliced strawberries for BIG strawberry flavor, maple syrup to keep it naturally sweetened, and vanilla extract for vanilla ice cream vibes.
Now, let’s get to the secret for achieving a super thick and creamy shake without ice cream: coconut milk ice cubes! To make them, simply open a can of full-fat coconut milk, shake or blend until it’s creamy, and freeze in an ice cube tray.
We used this same hack in our Creamy Cold Brew Coffee Smoothie, and if you freeze leftover coconut milk anytime you have extra from a recipe, you’ll have the ice cubes handy when the shake or smoothie craving strikes.
Then when ready to make a shake, blend the coconut milk ice cubes into the strawberry, maple syrup, and vanilla mixture until the shake reaches your preferred thickness level. Hubba hubba!
We hope you LOVE this vegan strawberry milkshake! It’s:
Made with fresh strawberries
& SO classic!
Make it extra special by topping with coconut whipped cream or garnishing with fresh and/or crushed freeze-dried strawberries. Happy strawberry season, friends!
More Vegan Shake Recipes
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Shake
- Vegan Jamocha Shake (Maple-Sweetened!)
- Vegan Chocolate Coffee Shake
If you try this recipe, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a photo @minimalistbaker on Instagram. Cheers, friends!
Creamy Vegan Strawberry Milkshake (4 Ingredients!)
COCONUT MILK ICE CUBES
- 1 (14-oz.) can full-fat coconut milk (a thick, creamy brand is best // there will be ice cubes left over after making this recipe*)
- 3/4 cup fresh strawberries, hulled and quartered (measured after slicing)
- 3-4 Tbsp maple syrup (depending on sweetness of strawberries)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 8-12 standard-size full-fat coconut milk ice cubes (from above)
FOR GARNISH optional
- Coconut whipped cream
- Fresh strawberries
- Freeze-dried strawberries, crushed
- COCONUT MILK ICE CUBES: If you don’t already have frozen full-fat coconut milk ice cubes*, start by making them. At least 6 hours before you wish to enjoy your milkshake, open a can of full-fat coconut milk and mix until it’s creamy and smooth, with no separation between the coconut cream and water. You can transfer it to a blender to fully mix or transfer to a tight-sealing jar and shake! Pour the mixed coconut milk into an ice cube tray and freeze.
- STRAWBERRY SHAKE: To make the shake, add the strawberries, maple syrup, and vanilla to a high-speed blender. Blend on high until fully combined, with no large pieces of strawberry remaining.
- Turn off the blender and, working in batches, add 2-3 coconut milk ice cubes at a time. Blend on medium-high speed until the ice cubes are fully blended, then continue adding ice cubes until your desired consistency is achieved, using the blender’s tamper to help blend if necessary. Using an ice cube tray that holds 1 ½ Tbsp per cube, we found that adding 12 ice cubes yielded our preferred creaminess!
- Serve immediately, garnishing with extra strawberries, coconut whipped cream, and crushed freeze-dried strawberries, if desired. Keep for up to 24 hours covered in the refrigerator (it will get thinner), or freeze for up to 1 week for a strawberry ice-cream-esque result!
*Coconut milk ice cubes: When we only use a partial can of coconut milk in recipes, we freeze the rest in an ice cube tray for recipes like this one!
*Nutrition information is a rough estimate calculated with 1 cup full-fat coconut milk for 2 servings.