Summa summa summa summa time.
Yep, it’s that time of year to smash up fruit with booze and it declare it happy hour whenever you please. Who’s with me?
I’m kind of a mojito girl.
Yes, I’m also a margarita girl – don’t get it twisted. But who can be mad at white rum? Especially when it goes so perfectly with ripe summer berries, fresh basil and a hint of lime. Haters begone.
This cocktail is rather simple.
What’s not to love?
It goes like this:
Muddle berries, lime and sugar.
Add basil, muddle a little more.
Add rum, gently stir.
Add some crushed ice and stir.
Add club soda and gently stir.
Top with more crushed ice, basil and a blackberry (or two).
See? I told you you could do it.
This cocktail SCREAMS summer. It’s:
We’ve been enjoying this mojito as an at-home happy hour. If you aren’t a fan of or don’t have basil, swap it for mint for a more classic version. And though I haven’t tried it with other fruit combinations, I imagine cherries and raspberries would be amazing.
If you make this drink, let us know! Leave a comment and rate it. And don’t forget to take a picture and tag it #minimalistbaker on Instagram so we can see. Cheers, friends!
Blackberry Basil Mojito
- 1 Tbsp cane sugar
- 1/2 medium lime (quartered)
- 3 ripe blackberries (plus more for garnish)
- 6-7 basil leaves (plus more for garnish)
- 1.7 ounces white rum (such as Bacardi)
- 1 cup crushed ice
- 1/4 cup soda water (aka club soda)
- Add lime segments, blackberries, and sugar to a cocktail glass and gently muddle 7-8 times (use a muddler or anything with a blunt edge, such as the handle end of a spatula).
- Add basil and gently muddle again 4-5 times to infuse flavor.
- Add white rum and gently stir/fold with a spoon to combine.
- Then add crushed ice, gently stir, and top with a splash of club soda. Gently stir/fold once more. Then garnish with a bit more crushed ice and garnish with basil.
*Nutrition information is a rough estimate.