True Food, you’ve stolen our hearts with your Watermelon Salad. We’re talking one of the best salads we’ve ever eaten. A homemade rendition had to happen!
Friends, it’s now your turn to be swept off your feet. Just 20 minutes stand between you and this show-stopping, sweet + spicy watermelon salad that’s so hydrating, fresh, and perfect for summer. Let us show you how it’s done!
The base of this AMAZING salad is crunchy cucumber and sweet watermelon with bites of avocado and cherry tomatoes. Fruit salad? Veggie salad? It’s a whatever-you-want-it-to-be salad!
It all gets tossed together with the spicy element: Calabrian peppers! They’re fruity and spicy and SO good, but if you don’t want to have one more ingredient added to your refrigerator, red pepper flakes or another spicy chili would also work.
Then it’s coated or drizzled with a creamy, sweet, bright, subtly smoky turmeric mango dressing. While she’s kind of dreamy just like that, a few toppings take her to the next level!
Marcona almonds, sesame seeds, crumbled seaweed, and a pinch of flaky salt deserve a standing ovation for their roles in this salad. You might not think these flavors go together, but woah, just wait until the first bite!
We can’t wait for you to try this watermelon salad! It’s got it alllll going on:
Easy to make
& SO delicious!
It makes the perfect light meal for two paired with your favorite protein, but we aren’t strangers to a solo party involving devouring the whole bowl. Yes, it’s that good! Don’t judge.
More Refreshing Summer Salads
- Gingery Smashed Cucumber Salad (Asian-Inspired)
- Minty Watermelon Cucumber Salad
- Crunchy Jicama Slaw (1 Bowl!)
- Summer Tomato & Cantaloupe Salad
If you try this recipe, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a photo @minimalistbaker on Instagram. Cheers, friends!
Spicy Watermelon Salad (True Food-Inspired!)
- 3 cups watermelon, cut into 1-1 ½ inch cubes
- 1 cup cucumber, cut into 1-inch chunks (preferably Persian or English cucumber // if using regular cucumber, peel in strips to make alternating stripes of green and white)
- 1/2 cup cherry or grape tomatoes, halved (or heirloom tomatoes, cut into bite-sized pieces)
- 1/2 large ripe avocado, cut into 1/2-1 inch pieces (optional)
- 1-2 Tbsp finely chopped Calabrian peppers
(they’re fruity + spicy! // or sub red pepper flakes to taste, though not as impressive)
- 3-4 Tbsp Creamy Turmeric Mango Vinaigrette
- 2-4 Tbsp chopped Marcona almonds (or sub toasted slivered almonds*)
- 2 pinches flaky sea salt* (such as Maldon)
- 1-2 sheets roasted seaweed snacks*, crumbled (plain/sea salt // optional)
- Sesame seeds* (optional)
- If you haven’t already made our Creamy Mango Turmeric Dressing, prepare it at this time. Set aside.
- To a medium-large mixing bowl, add watermelon, cucumber, cherry tomatoes, avocado, and chopped peppers. Toss gently to combine.
- There are two options for adding the dressing to the salad, depending on whether you want it to be pretty or just taste good! Option 1: For a prettier result, transfer to a serving platter and drizzle with dressing. Option 2: If you just want it to taste good, add the dressing directly to the mixing bowl and toss gently until just combined. Taste and adjust as needed, adding more Calabrian chili peppers for heat or mango dressing for sweetness/brightness. We used the full amounts of both.
- Divide between serving plates and garnish each serving with 1-2 Tbsp chopped Marcona almonds, a pinch of flaky sea salt, and a pinch each of crumbled seaweed (crumble between your fingers) and sesame seeds (both optional). Enjoy!
- Best eaten fresh — leftovers become soggy. Not freezer friendly.
*If you have furikake, it would be a great replacement for the flaky salt + seaweed snacks + sesame seeds.
*Inspired by True Food Kitchen and adapted from our Minty Watermelon Cucumber Salad.
*Nutrition information is a rough estimate calculated with the lesser amounts where ranges are provided and without optional ingredients.