Gold-dusted nutrition bombs. That’s what you need to know. These mushrooms. They’re stuffed! They’re vegan! They’re gluten-free! They require 7 ingredients, and they’re SUPER yummy. I mean, come on. Anything with vegan parmesan gets 5 gold stars in my book. It all starts with black rice, the nutritional superstar that boasts more anthocyanin antioxidants than blueberries, and is loaded with iron and fiber. Hubba, hubba. Next comes walnuts, and we all know how high in healthy fats and protein and omega-3s they are. I try to eat a few every day! Plus, they add a nutty, hearty bite to the black-rice filling. And last but not least, vegan parmesan, which acts as a salty, “cheesy,” (secretly healthy) topping, and crust that sends the flavor of these babies over the top.
Sign. Me. Up. So what do they taste like? Let me tell you. They’re: Tender with a slight bite Warm Savory Hearty Slightly nutty Mega healthy Light Satisfying Highly shareable And altogether lovely Invite your friends over for drinks and appetizers and prepare to watch these mushrooms disappear. So, dang, delicious. Enjoy!
7-Ingredient Vegan Stuffed Mushrooms
- 1/2 cup black rice (or sub wild or brown rice)
- 1 scant cup vegetable stock
- 1 10-ounce package baby portobello or white button mushrooms*
- 1/4 cup vegan parmesan cheese (plus more for topping // or sub real parm if not dairy-free)
- 1/4 cup raw walnuts (crushed)
- 1 1/2 tsp finely minced garlic
- 1 1/2 Tbsp olive oil (plus more for drizzling/coating)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (176 C) and rinse rice in a fine mesh strainer.
- Bring veggie stock to a boil in a small saucepan, then add rice. Lower heat, cover and cook until liquid is completely absorbed – anywhere from 30-45 minutes. Taste to sample doneness – if you prefer a chewier, softer rice, cook longer. If you’re OK with more bite, check around the 25-minute mark.
- In the meantime, place walnuts on a baking sheet and toast in oven for 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Brush dirt from mushrooms using a damp towel and remove stems. Brush or spray with olive oil and set aside.
- Prepare parmesan cheese if needed. Set aside.
- Once rice is done, fluff and then add vegan parmesan cheese, toasted walnuts, minced garlic and olive oil. Stir, taste and adjust seasonings as needed. I added just a pinch of salt and pepper and a little more vegan parmesan.
- Bake the mushrooms on a baking sheet WITHOUT the filling for 10 minutes to soften.
- Remove from oven and scoop generous spoonfuls of the filling into the par-baked mushrooms. (You will have a little leftover filling.) Top with additional vegan parmesan cheese and bake another additional 15-18 minutes or until tender and the parmesan is golden brown. (Baking the mushrooms on their own helps prevent the rice from getting too crisp.)
- Serve immediately. TIP: Dust your serving plate with vegan parmesan cheese so the bottom of the mushrooms have plenty of flavor, too.
*14 mushrooms yield ~10 ounces or 283 g
*Nutrition information is a rough estimate.
Leave a Comment & Rating!