If you’ve ever wondered how to make a nourishing chicken soup for those days when nothing else sounds good, when you’re under the weather, or when you’ve moved out and your mom doesn’t cook for you anymore — this is the soup for you.
Behold: The easiest, tastiest chicken soup recipe on the block, complete with white beans and kale. Mom would be so proud! Let’s do this.
This recipe is simple, requiring just 1 pot, 8 ingredients, and 30 minutes to make.
How to Make Chicken Soup
- It all starts in 1 pot by sautéing onion and garlic in oil (or with a strip of chopped bacon).
- Then add broth of choice.
- Next up, add shredded chicken and 1 can slightly drained white beans and season to taste.
- Throw in some sturdy greens in the last few minutes of cooking.
And voila — almost-from-scratch chicken soup that’s seriously delicious.
This soup is quite versatile in terms of vegetables and add-ins.
You can throw in some celery and carrots with the onion. Omit the chicken and double up on beans. Sub any sturdy green for the kale. You could even throw some rice into the mix! The options are endless.
We hope you LOVE this soup! It’s:
Quick & easy to make
& Incredibly delicious
More Soup Recipes
- 1-Pot Pumpkin Black Bean Soup
- 1-Pot Red Lentil Chili
- Curried Butternut Squash Soup
- Fire-Roasted Tomato & Mung Bean Soup
- 1-Pot Spiced Sweet Potato Lentil Soup
If you try this recipe, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a photo #minimalistbaker on Instagram. Cheers, friends!
1-Pot Chicken Soup with White Beans & Kale
- 1 strip uncured bacon, chopped (optional // highest quality possible — humanely raised, hormone-free when possible)
- 1 Tbsp avocado oil (if using bacon, omit oil)
- 1 cup diced white or yellow onion
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 cups broth (chicken broth or vegetable broth)
- 1 15-oz can white beans, slightly drained
- 2 cups shredded chicken
- Sea salt + black pepper to taste
- 3 cups loosely packed chopped kale (or other sturdy green)
- Heat a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Once hot, add bacon (optional) or oil. Let heat for 1 minute, stirring occasionally. Then add onion.
- Sauté for 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until onion is translucent and fragrant. Then add garlic and sauté 2-3 minutes more, being careful not to burn.
- Next add broth, slightly drained white beans, and chicken and bring to a simmer. Cook for 10 minutes to meld the flavors. Then taste and season with salt and pepper to taste. In the last few minutes of cooking, add the kale, cover, and cook until wilted.
- Serve hot. Store cooled leftovers covered in the fridge up to 3-4 days, or in the freezer up to 1 month. Reheat in the microwave or on the stovetop until hot.
*Recipe adapted from my mom’s.