I used to sport a bow tie for work. It’s true. My senior year of high school I got a job at a diner inside a movie theatre that required me to wear a bow tie, purple apron and white button up shirt with visibly ironed creases. Our manager was kind of anal, just like all underpaid managers on an ego trip. If it wasn’t for all the “discounted” (read: free) dessert that came my way, I would’ve ripped off that plastic name tag and fled the movie scene on week 1.
But you guys, did you hear that? I had unlimited access to free dessert including my favorite milkshake of all time: Hot fudge, peanut butter banana. Ughughughg. That job was so worth it.
These days if I were to eat a hot fudge, peanut butter banana milkshake, my insides would shake a proverbial fist at me for days. Oh the woes of growing up and having to take care of yourself.
So why make a healthier shake? A reader actually wrote recently and requested my take on an avocado chocolate shake. I leapt at the challenge. To start I focused on the base, which I kept 100% frozen to make it ultra creamy and thick – just the way I like my milkshakes.
The triple chocolate comes from the three C’s.
Chocolate Almond Milk
Chocolate Sauce (or Vegan Kahlua Hot Fudge)
Boom bam boom; chocolatey goodness.
And that’s really it! Frozen banana, frozen avocado and the three C’s. And what you end up with is an ultra-luxurious creamy vegan chocolate shake that’s actually good for you. I mean, there’s a whole avocado in there! Hello health benefits.
No, this may not replace a hot fudge, peanut butter banana shake. But it does satisfy that ice cold, uber creamy, super chocolatey shake of my yester-years. And it just so happens to be made with wholesome ingredients. That’s a shake my system can jive with, and, even thrive on. Cheers!
- 1 ripe avocado, sliced and frozen until hard
- 1/2 large banana, peeled, sliced and frozen until hard
- 1 Tbsp cacao or cocoa powder
- 2 Tbsp chocolate sauce or vegan hot fudge
- 1 cup chocolate almond milk (or other non-dairy chocolate milk)
- Place all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. Adjust flavor/sweetness as needed, adding a bit of agave or stevia for added sweetness, and chocolate sauce for more rich chocolate flavor.
- Divide between two small glasses, or guzzle the whole thing by yourself.
*Top with coconut whipped cream and chocolate curls for an even more decadent treat.
*Add a spoonful of peanut butter to take this thing over the top. What? Who said that…