If you could just give me a moment…alone with this sandwich, I’d appreciate it. Hubba hubba.
I am a loyal fan of grilled sandwiches, especially of the cheese variety. But as I’ve shared before, I have to watch my dairy intake. You can’t keep a girl from her bread though, so to the drawing board I went. That’s about the time this beauty came to mind. Friends, I give you the grilled almond butter, dark chocolate and pomegranate sandwich. Your taste buds will thank me.
The method for making this sandwich is as simple as it gets. Simply butter two slices of crusty bread, slather some almond butter inside and stack it high with quality dark chocolate and plenty of pomegranate arils. The result is an incredibly flavorful, satisfying sandwich that’s healthy enough to justify for lunch, yet decadent enough to call dessert.
This is kind of my dream sandwich. Technically I suppose banana would replace the pomegranate but I am capable of branching out sometimes. Besides, pomegranates are a tasty and healthy way to branch out and they go perfectly with almond butter and dark chocolate.
I’m in love with this recipe! Almond butter and dark chocolate create a creamy, melty decadent filling while pomegranate arils burst with sweet, slightly tart flavor in every bite. And that perfectly-buttered, crispy crust? Don’t even get me started. Make this sandwich!
- 4 slices whole grain crusty bread
- 2 Tbsp dairy-free butter (Earth Balance) or olive oil
- 4 Tbsp roasted salted almond butter
- 4 squares dark chocolate (dairy-free for vegan; don't exceed 70% cacao)
- 2-3 Tbsp pomegranate perils*
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat.
- Butter the outsides of four slices of bread, then slather the inside of two slices with almond butter.
- Next add two large squares of chocolate on top of the almond butter and top with pomegranate arils. Top with the other slice of bread, buttered side up and place the sandwich in the skillet.
- Push down with a heavy spatula to compress. Gently flip when the bottom is browned and crusty - about 2-3 minutes. (be careful not to burn)
- Cook for another 2-3 minutes on the other side. Serve immediately.